Sowore and his younger brother Omoyele and Olajide Sowore
Olajide, the younger brother of Sahara Reporters’ Publisher and human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, has been killed.
Sowore announced this in a Facebook post on Saturday, adding that the Divisional Police Officer of Okada Police Station confirmed the death to his family.
The activist said his brother was killed by suspected herdsmen operating as kidnappers.
The deceased is said to be in his late 40s.
According to him, the deceased, a student of Igbinedion University, was killed in Edo State.
The police had yet to officially react to the student’s death as of the time of filing this report.
Sowore posted, “My immediate younger brother, Olajide Sowore was today shot and killed near Okada in Edo state by reportedly herdsmen/kidnappers on his way from Igbinedion University in Edo State where he is studying Pharmacy.
“They snuffed out the life of yet another real human being! Rest In Power, “Dr. Mamiye!”
“This act in itself will not delay their day of justice.
“I travelled widely with you and our father as a little kid. You were the most loved robust kid I ever first knew. You, Mr. magnet had no enemy!
“You, Mr. Sunshine Foundation who made everyone happy.
“You, the boy who snuck out his older ones to parties, taking all the blames when our disciplinarian father found out.
“You, the guy who was an out-of-the-box thinker who decided school wasn’t for you and created your own genre of music and then turned around to go to school after you almost turned 50!
“You lived your life so that everyone could be alright but now assassinated by everything that’s not alright! Saddest day yet!”
Omoyele Sowore, who is a former presidential candidate, had earlier claimed that the Nigerian government is after his life.
Sowore was arrested and beaten during a protest in Abuja on January 1, 2021.
Also, he was injured by a police officer during a protest in Abuja on May 31, 2021. (Punch)
Youth wing of apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo has hailed the Enugu State House of Assembly over the passage of the anti-open grazing bill into law.
DAILY POST had reported that the lawmakers during plenary on Thursday passed the bill after it scaled through third reading.h
In a statement made available to journalists by the President-General of OYC, Mazi Okwu Nnabuike, he said the lawmakers had won the hearts of the people.
The youth group said leadership was all about listening to the voice of the people and that the state lawmakers had shown themselves to be true representatives of the masses.
“We are delighted with this big September gift from the Enugu State House of Assembly. The passage of this bill just at the exact time of the September deadline given by the Southern Governors is an indication that we have credible men and women in that parliament.
“The entire Igbo youths are saluting their courage, their boldness and forthrightness in handling that very critical assignment. They have written their names in history books and posterity will judge them fairly,” he said.
Okwu also lauded Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi over the passage of the bill, stressing that “we have in His Excellency a Governor that is a man of the people. He has scored another great goal and for that reason the entire youths and residents of Enugu State are with him.
“We assure him of our unflinching support to his administration.”
The OYC President-General, however, said they were still cautioning Governor Hope Uzodinma of Imo State to stop playing politics with the lives of people.
The group said, “any further life lost in the hands of marauding herdsmen in Imo State will be required from his hand. Imo State is part of Southern Nigeria, Imo State is an Igbo State and they can’t operate in isolation simply because of political exigency.
“No political ambition or office should be equated with human life. Ndigbo have suffered enough in the hands of the killer herdsmen and the time to end it is now.” (Daily Post)
The court had also restrained the government from freezing the bank account of Igboho.
The Nigerian government, Attorney General of Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami and the Department of State Services (DSS) on Monday lost another application seeking vacation of order by the Oyo State High Court retraining the government from arresting, intimidating, harassing Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, aka Sunday Igboho.
The court had also restrained the government from freezing the bank account of Igboho.
Justice Ladiran Akintola said the application by the AGF is against fair hearing and the fundamental human rights of the applicant because it has to do with his free movement.
Counsel for the AGF, Enock Simeon had earlier appealed to the court to vacate its earlier judgement restraining Nigerian government from freezing Igboho’s account and arresting his allies.
Simeon argued that such a judgement is interim and could only stay for seven days.
SaharaReporters had reported that Justice Akintola on August 4 granted an order of interim injunction restraining the Department of State Services (DSS) and other security agencies from arresting, detaining, molesting or killing the Yoruba Nation activist, Igboho.
But objecting to the argument, counsel for Igboho, Chief Yomi Aliyu (SAN) said he had filed for extension of the order on the 26th of August, therefore, the new application should not be granted.
Counsel for the AGF, thereby, sought another adjournment for him to reply to the application as the time frame of seven days had not elapsed.
On his part, the counsel for the DSS, T. Nurudeen said he had not been served with the new processes, urging the court to give a fair hearing to the parties by adjourning the case for hearing.
Justice Akintola refused to grant the application and therefore adjourned the case till September 7 for hearing.
The initial motion developed from the originating motion seeking N500 billion damages for invasion of his house in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital on July 1.
Aliu had expressed confidence the AGF Malami would not disobey the court order, saying the order was given directly against his office. (Sahara Reporters)
Mr Buhari noted that “IPOB are not struggling for freedom when they attack police stations and property, but rather committing acts of terrorism” to steal money.
President Muhammadu Buhari has slammed the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) for unleashing terror on the South-East and parts of the South-South, describing them as thieves and terrorists.
The president said this in a statement by his media aide Garba Shehu on Sunday.
Mr Buhari, however, maintained that to achieve success, communities must unite against these horrific attacks, saying retributive violence was not the answer.
He challenged religious, traditional, and community leaders on the need to preach peace and preventing violence.
”Attempts to simplify the reasons into a basic narrative may help raise donor-dollars for international NGOs, fill pages of overseas newspapers and burnish foreign politicians’ faith credentials,” argued Mr Buhari. “But this does not increase understanding, nor offer solutions. If anything, simplistic theorising and finger-pointing make the situation worse.”
He pointed out that “it is important both for Nigerians and the international community to appreciate that there are” a multitude of factors responsible for the worsening insecurity in Nigeria.
Mr Buhari further explained that “there are no religious connotations at all when the primary purpose of these acts is to extract money.”
The president insisted that the “herder-farmer” violent conflict was a matter of “water and land,” not religion.
“Then the herder-farmer clashes. While international voices and some Nigerian politicians who seek personal gains from division declare this a matter of religion, for those involved, it is almost entirely a matter of access to water and land,” he stated. “Herders have moved their cattle into contact with farmers for millennia. But increasingly, due to population pressure, escalating aridity of northern states, and climate change, they are forced to travel further south to find grazing lands.”
On the activities of IPOB, Mr Buhari noted that “further afield in the South-East, IPOB are not struggling for freedom when they attack police stations and property, but rather committing acts of terrorism” to steal money.
“IPOB is not defending Christians, as their highly paid foreign lobbyists claim,” Mr Buhari pointed out, “when almost every citizen of those states they terrorize is uniformly Christian.”
A few months ago, Mr Buhari’s regime repatriated IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu from Kenya, and now facing various criminal charges in court. He is in detention. Mr Kanu and IPOB are seeking the secession of the South-East from Nigeria.
However, Mr Buhari has urged Nigerians to be united against “those who seek to divide us for their own nefarious financial and political gain.” (NAN)
Presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, says what the Federal Government has done to AK-47-wielding bandits is worse than designating them as terrorists.
Shehu said this in an interview with BBC News Pidgin on Saturday morning.
He was responding to a question in an interview with BBC News Pidgin on Saturday morning on why the regime of his principal, president Muhammadu Buhari, has not outlawed blood-sucking bandits just as the current government proscribed the Indigenous People of Biafra and moved to do the same to Yoruba Nation secessionist group.
“What the Buhari administration has done to the arms-wielding bandits is worse than being declared as terrorists. There is a subsisting order by the President that any arms-wielding, AK-47 bandits should be shot on sight.
“Yes, IPOB has been proscribed by law of the land, there is no shoot-on-sight order,” Shehu said.
“The Nigerian Air Force is busy bombing locations, the military is there on the ground, exchanging fire for fire, taking them out in hundreds, that is certainly not treating people (bandits) lightly,” he added.
The presidential aide also said, “One thing people who say that ignore is the successes that are being recorded in many areas in the fight against insurgency in the country.”
Garba claimed there have been “enormous successes” recorded in dealing with bandits and terrorists. “For instance, Boko Haram are surrendering today in their thousands, this did not just happen,” he noted.
According to him, a lot of the bandits are being circled and taken out. “It is a matter of time, they will be substantially reduced and the Nigerian state will be safe all over again,” Shehu assured Nigerians.
In September 2017, the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN); and the then Solicitor General of the Federation and Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Justice, Mr Dayo Apata; had approached the Federal High Court in Abuja to give judicial backing to the Executive Order of President Buhari, outlawing IPOB and its activities in every part of Nigeria.
The then Acting Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Abdu Kafarati, had granted the order proscribing IPOB.
Recently the Federal Government hint that it might proscribe the Yoruba Nation movement led by Prof Banji Akintoye and Sunday Adeyemo also known as Sunday Igboho.
■ NASS crucial to resolving national challenges –SGF
From Fred Ezeh, Abuja
Federal Government has disclosed its plans to go after religious leaders using their pulpits to propagate hate speeches, and to also incite the people either against one another or against the government. The government statement disclosed that the Police and other security agencies would soon go after such religious and community leaders some of whom command massive and high loyalty and followership.
Secretary to Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, who disclosed the information at the third quarterly meeting of the Nigerian Inter-Religious Council (NIREC) in Abuja, called on such clerics to be cautious when they talk, given the level of influence such clerics have on the psyche of millions of their followers, online and offline.
“As religious and community leaders, we must be careful with our utterances, and we must consider, in our actions, that life is sacred and must be preserved. We must promote comments and actions that would bring succour the people,” he remarked.
Admitting that it is the responsibility of the government to provide security for the people as well as improve their well-being, he added that the President, Muhammadu Buhari, has been doing just that in the past six years.
President, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), in his remarks, accused the President of being biased in his approach to the issues of insecurity in Nigeria, hence the impression that he was in support of people of one region against the others. Plateau State governor, Simon Lalong, in his remarks, disabused the minds of the people that the crisis in Plateau was religious or political, insisting that it was purely criminal act that would be punished soon.
■ Mr Soyinka said the international community “has a right and responsibility to declare sections of the country as protectorate under the UN.”
Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, has called on the United Nations to step in and take control of parts of the country as the regime of President Muhammadu Buhari has failed to fulfill its responsibilities under international laws.
Mr Soyinka said the international community “has a right and responsibility to declare sections of the country as protectorate under the UN,” asking that the international body pull a “Namibia” and protect certain regions of the country.
“We are calling on the United Nations to intervene and stop this slave trade,” Mr Soyinka declared at an event in Lagos on Friday.
He explained that when protocols and conditions given by the UN and signed by a said nation are violated, such nation has failed to live up to its responsibilities.
“…the protocols are there for any nation to champion the cause of these children and thereby enforce on this government international intervention in whatever form,” Mr Soyinka said.
Mr Soyinka’s comments refer to school kidnappings, such as the Bethel Baptist School, Kaduna where 32 students were released from their captors on Friday. Mr Soyinka described the kidnapping and targeting of school children as slavery, which he stated is more lucrative within the country than exporting people.
Mr Soyinka said he’d been in talks with governments and foreign heads of states, appealing that they elevate the targeting of children and the “forced repatriation to the attention of the United Nations in the next General Assembly.”
The kidnappings, rife in the northern region of the country, and the failure of the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration to control and eliminate the threat are direct violations of the UN’s Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Across Nigeria, several attacks have been orchestrated by Fulani herdsmen and bandits as the reign of terror continues to spread from the North, these attacks have led to the loss of lives and damage to property.
Investigations revealed that the Nigerian Government, in a secret program, rehabilitate surrendered insurgents and attempt to integrate them into society, this is being done with no formal pardons.
Mr Buhari has often defended the actions of these insurgents. In July, Mr Buhari commended security agencies for raiding Sunday Igboho’s house, saying Mr Igboho has been disturbing the peace with his campaign against the herdsmen.
Peoples Gazette earlier reported how the presidency kicked against the ultimatum given by the Ondo State governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, to vacate the forest reserves.
The state government had hinged the decision on the criminal acts linked to the herders operating from the forests. But Mr Buhari argued that the murderous herders had rights to inhabit any portion of the Nigerian territory. (People’s Gazette)