Image

BREAKING: There Was No Search, No Money, Weapon Found In Daura’s Home – DSS |RN

                                 Former DSS Chief, Lawal Daura

Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja

 

The Department of State Services has denied the rumours making the round that a huge sum of money and weapons were found in the house of its sacked Director General, Mr Lawal Daura.

The service said that the rumour emanated from some fake videos which it said were circulated as being the outcome of a search allegedly carried out in Daura’s house.

A statement issued by the spokesperson for the agency, Mr Tony Opuiyo, in Abuja on Monday, said there was no iota of truth in the allegation that N21bn and the unspecified number of Permanent Voter Cards were found in Daura’s houses.

The videos, which Opuiyo had described as fake, gave an impression that the search was conducted at the residence of the former DG in both Abuja and Daura, Katsina State.

The spokesman for the agency said that there was no search carried out in the home of Daura by any security agency.

Opuiyo said, “The attention of the Department of State Services has been drawn to the circulation of fake information and videos in which several items were said to have been recovered from the Katsina and Abuja homes of its immediate past Director General, Lawal Daura.

“These non-existent items include N21bn cash, 400 assorted and sophisticated small arms and light weapons/rifles, and thousands of Permanent Voter Cards belonging to Niger Republic immigrants.

“In another video also in circulation, some persons believed to be personnel of a security outfit were seen forcing open safes stocked with money.

“The security operatives were described as executing a recovery operation at the Katsina home of the former DG.

“Consequently, the Service wishes to inform the public that these videos are false and should be disregarded.

“So far, no such recovery operations have been undertaken by the EFCC or any other security agency at DSS’ office or residences of the former DG.

“There is no doubt that different interests have continued to give varied accounts of the incident of last week at the National Assembly.

“It may, however, be recalled that the Presidency had pledged to carry out a detailed investigation regarding the alleged National Assembly siege.”

Opuiyo asked members of the public to exercise restraint in their narration of events and as such, to desist from spreading fake news or engaging in activities that he said might mislead or further cause a breach of the peace as well as preempt the outcome of investigations.

Earlier, the Peoples Democratic Party had accused the Independent National Electoral Commission of keeping silent over the alleged discovery of the PVCs in Daura’s house.

A statement issued by the National Publicity Secretary of the party, Mr Kola Ologbondiyan, had charged the National Assembly to immediately commence an investigation into the veracity of the allegation.  (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Fulani Herdsmen Getting Weapons From Neighbouring Countries, Says Saraki

Bukola-Saraki

Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki

Eniola Akinkuotu, Alexander Okere and Olaleye Aluko

Senate President Bukola Saraki says the clashes between herdsmen and farmers have continued to intensify because the herdsmen are acquiring illegal arms from neighbouring countries.

Also, the United States of America has said the north-eastern Nigeria is facing a food crisis caused by the Boko Haram insurgency and its offshoot, ISIS West Africa.

The Deputy Director, Bureau of African Affairs, US Department of State, Nathan Holt, said this on Tuesday during a special briefing on Nigeria at the Washington DC.

The Global Terrorism Index had named Fulani herdsmen as the fourth deadliest terror group in the world.

Saraki, therefore, said there was a need for the Parliament of the Economic Community of West African States to find ways to deal with the growing insecurity in the region, especially with the proliferation of small arms and light weapons.

He said this while delivering a speech at the opening session of the ECOWAS Parliament in Abuja on Wednesday.

He said, “Nigeria is currently faced with the problems of herdsmen and farmers clashing with most of the weapons used coming from illicit acquisitions at the borders. The circulation of illegal arms within and across the states has increased the proclivity of conflicts within the sub-region.”

The Senate President said there was a need for ECOWAS to take the issue of terrorism more seriously, adding that the existence of such a terrorist organisation was a threat to democracy in West Africa.

While praising the Federal Government for the recent rescue of 82 Chibok schoolgirls, he said the government must not rest on its oars.

Saraki added, “The problem of Boko Haram and terrorism remains a clear and present threat to the security of the sub-region. There is no doubt that we have made remarkable achievements in this area especially with the recent release of 82 Chibok schoolgirls.

“While we celebrate this achievement, we must not lose sight of the continuous threat Boko Haram and all the terrorist groups in the region pose as a destabilising factor for democracy across the length and breadth of the sub-region.”

In his remarks, the Speaker of the ECOWAS Parliament, Mr Moustapha Lo, said there was a need for West African nations to do more in the area of insecurity.

Holt added that the US had announced a support of $30m for the people of North-East under the World Food Programme to alleviate the crisis.

The US director noted that the victims of the Boko Haram insurgency in the Lake Chad Basin, which has Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon, had been supported with $500m assistance in the last two years.  (Punchng.com)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading