Aloy Ejimakor, lawyer of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, has lamented that Nigeria misled Kenya to expel the separatist to the country.
In a statement on Sunday, he explained that pro-Biafra agitator is “technically still in Kenya.”
Ejimakor noted that since Kanu travelled to Kenya on a British passport, he should have been expelled to the same country and not Nigeria.
Ejimakor, in a statement he signed entitled: “Kanu is technically still in Kenya,” said it was dubious that Kenya attributed Kanu’s citizenship to Nigeria because it’s his place of birth.
The statement read in part, “Yes, that’s right: In the purest interpretations of foreign relations law, as applied to Britain and Kenya, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu is technically speaking, still in Kenya. How? Dual national or not, Kanu departed Britain and travelled to Kenya as a British citizen and Kenya admitted him as such. That’s the starting point.
“So, after his admission to Kenya, it happens that Kanu must be expelled from Kenyan soil (with or without due process), the next natural and legal thing to do is for Kenya to expel him to Britain, not Nigeria. Choosing to expel him to Nigeria means that he could’ve also been expelled to any other country than Nigeria.
“Why? Because Kanu presented himself to Kenya as a British citizen, not a Nigerian citizen or even a dual citizen. In international law, it was clearly a three-way immigration contract between Kanu, Britain and Kenya. Nigeria was not a party to it; and Nigeria was never in reckoning at the Kenyan port of entry when Kanu presented himself for admission. Lawyers call it the privity of contract.
“Counting from the time of Kanu’s abduction to the infamous rendition, Kenya sighted no other travel document that could’ve, in addition to Britain, attributed another nationality to Kanu, including that of Nigeria. Or, was Kanu admitted to Kenya on a Nigerian birth certificate?
“So, it’s dubious that Kenya attributed Nigerian citizenship to Kanu because sponsors of the abduction and rendition presumably told Kenya that Kanu was born in Nigeria.”
Kanu, 53, was arrested in late 2015 after calling for a separate homeland for the Igbo people in South East Nigeria.
In 2017, he jumped bail, reappearing in Israel and Britain, after attempt was made on his life by the Nigerian army.
On June 29, Nigeria’s justice minister and attorney general, Abubakar Malami, announced Kanu had been “brought back to Nigeria in order to continue facing trial after disappearing.”
The government said last month that Kanu was “brought back” to Nigeria in order to face justice, but gave no details. His family and lawyers say he was taken in Kenya.
His charges include “terrorism, treasonable felony, managing an unlawful society, publication of defamatory matter, illegal posession of firearms and improper importation of goods, among others,” Malami said.
President Muhammadu Buhari Mr Femi Adesina, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, says his principal prefers being treated abroad because he can afford it.
President Muhammadu Buhari is currently abroad for medical check-up and there have been reactions to this.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has accused Buhari on wasting tax payers money on his health while some critics have said the president ought to be treated within the country.
But speaking on Channels TV, Adesina said the president has been receiving medical treatment from the same team of doctors for about 40 years, and they have his medical profile.
“It is advisable that he continues with that who knows his medical history and that is why he comes to London to see them.
“He has used the same medical team for over 40 years. Once you can afford it, then stay with the team that has your history.”
Adesina also mocked the PDP for saying Buhari has turned the Presidential Villa to APC headquarters.
Governors elected under the opposition party had accused the president of hosting too many meeting of his party at the villa.
But Adesina, who said the PDP is losing grounds and its ranks are depleting, added that its member will say anything “illogical and inconsequential”.
He said past PDP presidents held many party meeting at Aso Rock.
“We were in this country when President Obasanjo was in power and the BOT meeting of the PDP used to hold at the presidential villa.”
“We were here when President Yar’adua, when President Jonathan was there, they held meetings at the presidential villa. What are they talking about really?
“When APC dwindles from 24 governors to 19, do you hear a whimper from PDP one day rejoicing? It is all because they are losing ground that they are saying all these things. It is the way of politics.” (Daily Trust)
The United Kingdom has defended its decision to consider granting asylum to members of the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB) and the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB).
According to PUNCH, the British high commission in Nigeria said the UK provides protection to those who need it, in response to the federal government’s criticism of the move.
TheCable had published an exclusive report that the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) had released new guidelines on how to treat asylum applications by members of Biafran secessionist groups.
In the guidelines, asylum is to be granted to “persecuted” members of MASSOB and IPOB, which had been designated as a terrorist organisation in Nigeria.
But Lai Mohammed, minister of information, had kicked against the move which he said amounts to sabotaging Nigeria’s fight against terrorism.
“Against the background of the fact that IPOB is not only proscribed but also designated as a terrorist organisation here in Nigeria, the UK’s decision is disrespectful of Nigeria as a nation,” Mohammed had also said.
In its response to the minister’s comments, the British High Commission said it considers asylum to Nigerians seeking one “on their individual merits in accordance with our international obligations.”
“The UK has a proud history of providing protection to those who need it, in accordance with our international obligations under the Refugee Convention and European Convention on Human Rights,” PUNCH quoted the high commission to have said.
“Our country policy and information notes are published on the gov.uk website. They are kept under constant review and updated periodically – an update to the Biafra separatist note is expected shortly.
“We publish them since our decisions can be appealed in the immigration courts, which are public, so it is clearer and fairer for all involved (applicants, their lawyers, judges, stakeholders such as the UNHCR) to know what our position and evidence base is.”
Meanwhile, IPOB had said it wants a referendum on self-determination for the Biafran area of Nigeria not asylum.
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson acknowledged the threat yesterday, saying the UK had to take ‘every possible precaution’.
It is feared vital transport systems, water supplies, gas networks, banks, hospitals and even air traffic control could be hacked by Russia in response to the assault on Bashar al-Assad’s chemical weapons facilities.
Intelligence sources also fear the retaliation could involve the online release of so-called ‘kompromat’ – compromising information on MPs or other public figures.
The Syria crisis will dominate the return of Parliament today, with Mrs May facing the prospect of MPs voting against her decision to join Friday night’s US-led strikes to punish the Assad regime for the use of chemical weapons in Douma.
In a robust defence of her actions, the Prime Minister will deliver a statement to MPs insisting that Britain had to strike Syria ‘in our national interest’.
And she will invoke the Salisbury poisonings, saying that military action was essential to help deter any future use of chemical weapons ‘on the streets of the UK’.
On Saturday, Russia warned of ‘consequences’ after the air strikes.
Moscow has already launched repeated online assaults against the UK and intelligence chiefs fear they have the capability to hack into certain critical systems. Speaking on the BBC’s Andrew Marr show, Mr Johnson said: ‘I think we have to take every possible precaution.
‘When you look at what Russia has done, not just in this country, in Salisbury, attacks on TV stations, on the democratic processes, on critical national infrastructure – of course, we have to be very, very cautious indeed.’ A National Cyber Security Centre spokesman added: ‘We are always vigilant to attacks wherever they come from and we have a full spectrum of capabilities to draw on if required.’
Intelligence experts accept that the most likely response from Russia will be through covert cyber warfare. This would be on top of an avalanche of fake news planted by Moscow-run online trolls.
Last week, Ciaran Martin, director of the cybersecurity centre, warned that Russia had already repeatedly ‘hit’ the UK’s critical infrastructure. This includes vital systems such as water supplies, electricity and gas networks, hospitals, banks and transport.
And one security source told The Sunday Times: ‘We know what’s in the Russian playbook – kompromat-type material – we’re all prepared for that.’
In the hours after the strikes, Moscow’s ambassador to the US, Anatoly Antonov, said: ‘The worst apprehensions have come true. Our warnings have been left unheard. A pre-designed scenario is being implemented. Again, we are being threatened. We warned that such actions will not be left without consequences.
‘All responsibility for them rests with Washington, London and Paris. Insulting the president of Russia is unacceptable and inadmissible.’ Putin condemned the strikes as an ‘act of aggression against a sovereign state’ and accused the US and its allies of violating the ‘norms and principles of international law’. Putin even accused America of having ‘staged a chemical attack against civilians’ as a ‘pretext’ for the attack.
One Russian politician even compared Mr Trump to Adolf Hitler. Alexander Sherin said he ‘can be called Adolf Hitler No 2 of our time – because you see, he even chose the same time [of night] that Hitler chose to attack the Soviet Union’.
A Russian resolution at the UN Security Council condemning the air strikes was soundly defeated on Saturday night. Moscow gained support from only two countries, China and Bolivia. Four council members – Ethiopia, Kazakhstan, Peru and Equatorial Guinea – abstained, while the remaining eight members voted against.
At the same time, Mrs May has faced considerable criticism for not recalling Parliament to gain approval for joining the US-led action.
Tory MPs returning from recess this week have been told they have to be in the Commons today and tomorrow in case there is a vote on her handling of the Syria crisis.
Last night, however, Downing Street officials said they believed a Commons vote was unlikely to take place – although they did not rule out the possibility that Opposition parties could force one later in the week.
Mrs May will tell MPs: ‘Let me be absolutely clear. We have acted because it is in our national interest to do so.’ (The Daily Mail)
National Crime Agency operations manager Siobhan Micklethwaite said the seizure was “one of the largest flown into the UK by plane in many years”.
The Neil brothers are due to appear at Uxbridge Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday morning, alongside Italian national Alessandro Iembo, 28, of Richmond Hill, Bournemouth, and Spanish nationals Victor Franco-Lorenzo, 40, and 45-year-old Jose Ramon Miguelez-Botas. (Sky News)
The British and the United States governments have warned their citizens of terrorist groups’ threat to carry out bomb attacks in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, during the Yuletide.
In its latest foreign travel advice to British nationals, made available to SUNDAY PUNCH, the country’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office stated that it would raise the terrorism threat alert in Nigeria during the festive periods.
Around 117,000 British citizens visit Nigeria each year, according to the FCO.
The US government warned its citizens not to travel to Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa and Yobe till the end of the year.
“The risk of terrorist attack increases around religious festivals; so (the threat alert) will be elevated in the run-up to and throughout the Christmas and New Year holiday period. Terrorist groups have threatened to conduct bombings and attacks in the Federal Capital Territory (Abuja) area during this period.
“You (British nationals) should avoid places where crowds gather, including religious gatherings and places of worship, markets, shopping malls, hotels, bars, restaurants, transport hubs and camps for displaced people,” the United Kingdom said in a statement posted on the FCO website.
Last week, the United States Embassy in Nigeria issued a similar warning titled, ‘Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Holiday Security Reminder’.
“The US Mission urges all US citizens to exercise caution in and around shopping centres, malls, markets, hotels, places of worship, restaurants, bars, and other places where crowds gather in and around the Federal Capital Territory, from now through the Christmas and New Year’s holiday season. Terrorist groups have threatened to conduct bombings and attacks in this area during this period.
“The US Mission remains concerned about potential attacks in the states of Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa and Yobe. Travellers are urged to avoid those states through the end of the year.
“Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security,” the US Embassy warned. (Punch)