Image

BREAKING: House Of Representatives Summon Lai Mohammed Over Twitter Ban |The Republican News

By Olabisi Deji

The House of Representatives has summoned Lai Mohammed, Minister of Information and Culture, over the suspension of Twitter in Nigeria.

Recall that the minister, last week, announced the suspension of the microblogging platform’s operations in Nigeria after the platform deleted a controversial civil war post by President Muhammadu Buhari, threatening violence against separatist agitators.

At its sitting on Tuesday, the House mandated its committees on communication, justice, information and culture, and national security and intelligence to immediately commence an investigation into the suspension of the microblogging site.

Continue reading
Image

BREAKING: Twitter Deletes Nnamdi Kanu Tweet Threatening Soldiers Sent To Biafraland With Death |The Republican News

Nnamdi Kanu

The bird app platform, Twitter, has deleted a tweet by Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB for allegedly violating their rules.

Nnamdi Kanu had in the tweet, vowed that any soldier sent to the Southeast by the Nigerian Government will be sent to their maker.

Kanu, made the post in reaction to the comment by President Muhammadu Buhari saying he would clamp down on those destroying government facilities in the South-East.

Buhari had while receiving briefing from the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu over destruction of the commission’s offices by unknown gunmen in the region, said he would soon shock those behind the attacks.

And Kanu warned that no Nigerian Army deployed to the region would return alive.

Kanu made the assertion on Wednesday via a tweet on his official Twitter handle.

The tweet reads, “It’s not for the living to respond to the dead but given the lack of reasoning prevalent in the #Zoo Nigeria, I wish to assure @GarShehu, the Jihadi midget @elrufai & that Fulani lapdog Femi Adesina that any army they send to #Biafraland will die there. None will return alive”.

And nearly 24 hours after the Nigerian government announced a ban on Twitter, the platform has deleted the tweet from Kanu.

Twitter deleted the comment on Saturday, saying it violates its rules.

Twitter had two days earlier deleted President Muhammadu Buhari’s controversial tweet about the civil war which some Nigerians found offensive and tagged a “genocidal threat”. (Daily Trust)

Continue reading
Image

Nigeria Suspends Twitter After Social Media Platform Freezes Buhari’s Account, Deletes War Threat Comment |RN

Muhammadu Buhari and Twitter logo

By Danielle Paquette

Nigeria has indefinitely suspended Twitter two days after the social media platform temporarily froze the account of the nation’s president, sparking a torrent of Internet outrage in Africa’s most populous country.

The minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed, made the surprise announcement Friday in the capital, Abuja, citing safety concerns.

Mohammed condemned “the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence,” according to a statement from Segun Adeyemi, special assistant to the president.

Officials did not provide further details.

On Wednesday, Twitter removed a post by Nigeria’s president, Muhammadu Buhari, that threatened punishment for separatists in the nation’s southeast that authorities have blamed for attacks on federal property.

“Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigerian Civil War,” wrote Buhari, a retired general, referring to the 1967-70 conflict. “Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand.”

The social media platform said Buhari’s tweet violated its “abusive behavior” policy, removed the post and suspended his account for 12 hours.

Twitter is massively popular in Nigeria. Activists have harnessed the platform to fuel major protest movements in recent years, and government criticism is rampant.

Shortly after the announcement, the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture, which spread the news, saw its own Twitter account flooded with replies. Many users blasted the irony.

“Using @twitter to announced the suspension of its operation in Nigeria on its platform. Are you alright???” wrote one user.

Authorities did not clarify how and when the ban would start.

One senior official, speaking anonymously to discuss sensitive matters, said he was shocked by the suspension and wasn’t sure how it would work.

People across Nigeria, meanwhile, continued to tweet — including JJ Omojuwa, a podcast host in Lagos with a million followers.

“It’s a disaster,” he said. “It’s a tragedy that the government would even think to do something like this rather than focus on real problems.”

In recent months, attackers in Nigeria’s southeast have ambushed police stations and government buildings, killing several officers and civil servants.

Authorities have pinned the escalating violence on the Eastern Security Network, an armed group that emerged from a secessionist movement called the Indigenous People of Biafra.

For two and a half years in the late 1960s, separatists in the region fought to split from the government and form a new state, Biafra.

Between 500,000 and 3 million people died on the Biafran side, researchers estimate — many from hunger. The Nigerian military faced accusations of war crimes after blocking food supplies for civilians.

Source: Washington Post

Continue reading
Image

FG Blames Twitter For Supporting Biafra Agitation, Reason For Deleting Buhari’s Tweet |The Republican News

The Federal Government says it’s suspecting the activities of the social media giant, Twitter, following its decision to delete President Muhammadu Buhari’s tweet referencing the civil war.

Buhari had in a series of tweets on his verified Twitter handle, @Mbuhari, tweeted: “Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigerian Civil War. Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand.”

Following several complaints, Twitter deleted the tweet, stating: “This Tweet violated the Twitter Rules”.

Reacting to the development, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, accused Twitter of double standard.

Mohammed said the social media giant has conveniently ignored inciting tweets by Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and his cohorts.

He said Twitter ignored Kalu’s remarks that encouraged the killing of Police personnel and the show of similar biases during the ENDSARS protest where government and private properties were looted and set on fire, considering it human rights.

Mohammed, who wondered why the organization now found President Buhari’s tweet offensive, said Twitter’s role is suspect and Nigeria will not be fooled.

He said: “Twitter may have its own rules, it’s not the universal rule. If Mr. President, anywhere in the world feels very bad and concern about a situation, he is free to express such views. Now, we should stop comparing apples with oranges. If an organisation is proscribed, it is different from any other which is not proscribed.

“Two, any organisation that gives directives to its members, to attack police stations, to kill policemen, to attack correctional centres, to kill warders, and you are now saying that Mr. President does not have the right to express his dismay and anger about that? Are we the ones guilty of double standards? I don’t see anywhere in the world where an organisation, a person will stay somewhere outside Nigeria, and will direct his members to attack the symbols of authority, the police, the military, especially when that organisation has been proscribed. By whatever name, you can’t justify giving orders to kill policemen or to kill anybody you do not agree with.”

Continue reading
Image

Twitter And Facebook Lost $51 Billion Of Combined Market Value Since Booting Trump From Their Platforms|RN

Phillip Faraone/Getty Images for WIRED25; Francois Mori/AP

By Ben Winck


Facebook and Twitter have collectively seen $51.2 billion erased from their market caps over the last two trading sessions as investors balk at their banning of President Trump.


Facebook saw $47.6 billion erased from its public valuation, while Twitter’s market cap dropped by $3.5 billion.


Both companies announced last week they would permanently ban the president, saying keeping him on their platforms posed too large a risk of additional violence.
The bans come as Trump faces blowback from the government and corporations for his role in inciting last week’s violent riots at the Capitol.


Facebook and Twitter, the two largest social media platforms to permanently ban President Donald Trump for his role in last week’s Capitol riots, saw $51.2 billion in combined market value erased over the last two trading sessions.


Companies across sectors have responded to the president’s rhetoric in recent days by pausing political donations, making statements decrying his inflammatory remarks, and pulling products with links to right-wing movements. Facebook and Twitter possibly took the biggest retaliatory steps when they indefinitely banned Trump from their platforms on Thursday and Friday, respectively.


Both companies cited the risk of additional violence for their bans, but investors largely balked at the action. Facebook tumbled 4% on Monday and another 2.2% on Tuesday as shareholders dumped the stock, likely fearing the ban could drive users off the platform. By the time markets closed on Tuesday, Facebook’s market cap sat $47.6 billion below its Friday level.

Twitter plunged 6.4% to start the week and dipped another 2.4% as the sell-off continued into Tuesday’s close. The declines saw Twitter’s market cap drop by $3.5 billion.


To be sure, Twitter rose as much as 2.9% on Wednesday while Facebook wavered at its previous closing level. And analysts haven’t lowered the stocks’ median price targets following the bans, signaling the slides were likely knee-jerk reactions that will reverse over time.


Other tech giants responding to last week’s insurrection have fared better through the week. Apple and Google have both climbed slightly since announcing after Friday’s close they would remove right-wing social network Parler from their app stores. Amazon shares are up 1.6% since announcing on Sunday that it kicked Parler off of its web hosting service.


Still, the actions could come back to bite tech companies in the final week of Trump’s presidency. CNN reported on Monday that Trump might retaliate against tech giants for their bans. It’s not yet clear what the president’s actions would look like and if they will materialize before President-elect Joe Biden is inaugurated.

Facebook traded at $251.70 per share as of 10:25 a.m. ET Wednesday, down roughly 8% year-to-date.

Twitter traded at $47.94 per share, down 12% year-to-date.

Continue reading
Image

Twitter Indefinitely Suspends President Donald Trump To Avoid Inciting Further Violence |The Republican News

President Donald Trump arrives to speak at the “Operation Warp Speed Vaccine Summit” on the White House complex, on Dec. 8, 2020.Evan Vucci / AP

“After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence,” Twitter’s official “Safety” account tweeted.

By Ben Collins and Brandy Zadrozny

Twitter permanently suspended President Donald Trump’s account on Friday, citing “the risk of further incitement of violence.”

The president’s account was initially banned for 12 hours on Jan. 6 due to “severe violations of our Civic Integrity policy,” after he used the platform to tweet condemnation against Vice President Mike Pence as his supporters stormed the Capitol.

“After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence,” the company said in a tweet.

The company banned the president’s account after years of public pressure and several attempts to limit the reach of his account in recent days. Hundreds of Twitter employees signed a letter urging Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to ban the president for using the platform to incite violence in the wake of the Capitol siege.

“In the context of horrific events this week, we made it clear on Wednesday that additional violations of the Twitter Rules would potentially result in this very course of action,” Twitter said in a blog post. “Our public interest framework exists to enable the public to hear from elected officials and world leaders directly. It is built on a principle that the people have a right to hold power to account in the open.”

“However, we made it clear going back years that these accounts are not above our rules and cannot use Twitter to incite violence,” the post continued. “We will continue to be transparent around our policies and their enforcement.”

This was the second time in a week Twitter had taken action against the president’s account. Twitter removed three tweets that promoted conspiracy theories about the election and locked Trump’s account on Wednesday, citing “a risk of violence,” after a violent riot at the Capitol. Trump’s official @POTUS account is still active.

In the post, the company cited Trump’s two most recent tweets as an explanation for the removal.

In one, Trump wrote: “The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!”

In the next, he tweeted, “To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.”

Taken together, the company determined, they were “likely to inspire others to replicate the violent acts that took place on January 6, 2021, and that there are multiple indicators that they are being received and understood as encouragement to do so.”

The suspension drew immediate praise from Democratic politicians.

“Thank you @twitter for taking this action,” tweeted Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V. “We must come together as a country to heal and find a common path forward.”

This story is developing. Please check back for updates.

(Ben Collins covers disinformation, extremism and the internet for NBC News.
Brandy Zadrozny is an investigative reporter for NBC News.)

Continue reading
Image

Facebook, Google, Twitter Have To Be Careful, Trump Warns |RN

President Donald Trump stepped up his criticism of internet firms Tuesday, hours after attacking Google over what he called “bias” against him and his supporters.

“Google and Twitter and Facebook — they are really treading on very, very troubled territory and they have to be careful,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

The comments come after the president last week slammed social media firms for what he claimed was suppression of conservative voices, and Tuesday’s tirade against Google that claimed news search results were “rigged” to favour “left-wing media.”

(AFP)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

The Woman Behind Donald Trump’s Twitter Obsession Revealed |The Republican News

Karishma Sarkari
Ivana Trump                                                 Ivana Trump

 

President Trump’s tweets are the source of many late night TV monologues.

But it seems Donald Trump’s Twitter obsession is thanks to his first wife, Ivana Trump.

In an upcoming interview on CBS’s Sunday Morning, the 68-year-old tells journalist Jim Axelrod she gave him the idea of getting his message out using social media during the election.

“I said, ‘I think you should tweet. It’s a new way, a new technology.

“‘And if you want to get your words across rightly, without telling the New York Times, which is going to twist every single word of yours, this is how you get your message out’.”

When asked what she makes of the US President’s constant tweets and rants, which has drawn plenty of criticism from across the globe, Ivana says her ex-husband is on the money

                © Provided by Nine Digital Pty LtdDonald Trump’s Twitter obsession has been highly criticised by people from all across the globe. Image: Twitter

 

“Well, it’s a tweeting president. This is his new way, how to put the message across. And he’s right,” she told Axelrod.

On Thursday however, it came to light that the President may not, in fact, be the one posting his own tweets.

The theory ironically puts out on Twitter by political journalist Joe Perticone, shows Trump’s social media director Dan Scavino Jr posting a duplicate tweet, complete with the ‘FAKE NEWS’ hashtag.

Scavino, who has previously insisted the President tweets for himself, has since deleted the double up from his account, leaving just the version on Trump’s account.

Meanwhile, also during the interview to air this Sunday, Ivana revealed that like her daughter Ivanka Trump — an advisor to her father — she too has been offered a position by her ex, whom she still speaks to on a weekly basis.
 © Provided by Nine Digital Pty LtdIvana was the President’s first of three wives but the pair remain close and still speak once a week. Image: Getty

 

“I was just offered to be the American ambassador to the Czech Republic,” she said.

“Donald told me. He said, ‘Ivana if you want it, I give it to you. But I like my freedom.

“I like to do what I want to do, go wherever I want to go with whomever I want to go. And I can afford my lifestyle.”

Ivana reveals she turned down the role because she doesn’t want to say goodbye to spending winters in Miami and summers in St Tropez, or interrupt her jet-setting lifestyle.

© Provided by Nine Digital Pty LtdThe 68-year-old revealed she has been offered a position by her ex-husband but turned it down to enjoy her jet-setting lifestyle. Image: AAP

(Source: 9Honey)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

%d bloggers like this: