Image

Lagos ‘Policeman’ Robs, Stabs Commuter, Forgets ID Card At Scene

Nigerian-police

Samson Folarin

Highway robberies  may have taken a turn for the worse after a police sergeant, Williams Godwin, was allegedly involved in the robbery of a commuter identified only as Henry.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the 41-year-old victim was on his way to work when he joined a cab along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway en route to Lagos Island.

He was said to have been attacked at gunpoint, as the assailants, which included Godwin, allegedly dispossessed him of his ATM card and N4,000.

However, during the incident, the policeman’s ID card allegedly fell into the luggage of the victim, who was rushed to the Lagos State Accident and Emergency Centre at Toll gate, Ojota, where he was admitted and treated.

One of those who rescued Henry told PUNCH Metro that he was stabbed with a sharp object in the back.

The ID card

He said, “The incident happened on Wednesday, October 18, 2017. The man was going to work on the Lagos Island when he boarded the private car. Along the way, they pointed a gun at him and took his ATM card and the N4,000 in his bag. While the policeman was ransacking the man’s luggage, his ID card fell into the man’s bag. They stabbed him with a sharp object and dropped him off.”

Our correspondent, who visited the centre, confirmed that Henry was indeed admitted to the facility.

A worker, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said incidents of car robberies, aka One Chance, had become regular in the area.

She said passersby and sympathisers, who sighted victims of such attacks, sometime called the emergency toll-free lines through which the centre got notifications.

She said, “Yes, the man was brought here. I think he’s about 41-year-old. He said he boarded a private car, which he thought was a cab. He was seriously injured and we had to treat him. He had the ID card of the policeman that he claimed was among those that attacked him.”

Our correspondent gathered that Henry took away the original ID card of the policeman.

PUNCH Metro visited Henry’s residence in the Ogba, Agege area to speak with him on his encounter with the bandits.

The house gate was locked, but a resident later showed up.

The resident, who confirmed the attack, said Henry had decided not to talk about it.

Another neighbour, Ben, declined to release Henry’s telephone number, saying he had put the robbery behind him.

Our correspondent, however, gathered that there had been a surge in the number of victims of One Chance robberies along the Berger/Secretariat/Toll gate ends of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Some of the victims, our correspondent learnt, were admitted to the Accident and Emergency Centre.

In the course of investigating Henry’s attack at the centre, our correspondent sighted a victim who worked with a popular club on Lagos Island.

The man, who identified himself only as Dotun, said he was attacked by a nine-man gang.

He said, “I was going to my place of work at Obalende when I entered a Vanagon  bus at the Berger end of the expressway around 6am on October 25. We were about nine on the bus, including a man who wore a tie. He sat in the front. All of them were hefty men and wore regular clothes.

“When we got to Secretariat bus stop, they held me by the neck and I thought they wanted to kill me. I started to struggle with them as they punched and hit me from different sides. They took all the money in my bag and collected my ATM card. I wouldn’t know if they had a POS machine. But they slotted it inside something and said there was no money in it. The last thing I remember is that they hit my head against the vehicle and I passed out.”

The hospital source told our correspondent that a woman had also been attacked in a similar manner three days before Dotun’s attack.

She said the victim was stabbed in different parts of her body and all her money was collected.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole, said he would call back, but had yet to do so as of press time.       (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Advertisements
Image

Six Gunmen Die After Botched South African Cash Heist In Durban|RN

BY JEFF WICKS

 

Police cordon off an area outside the Value Centre in Springfield after a shootout with would-be cash-in-transit robbers.

Police cordon off an area outside the Value Centre in Springfield after a shootout with would-be cash-in-transit robbers. 
Image: Jeff Wicks

Six suspected robbers died in Durban on Monday after two separate gun battles with police in a chase that spanned several city suburbs.

The shootings and dramatic car chase were the results of a botched cash-in-transit heist.

A gang of armed men attempted to rob a cash-in-transit vehicle outside the Value Centre in Springfield.

A well-placed police source said that members of the Crime Intelligence Unit and the Hawks had acted on a tip-off about the heist.

Along with heavily armed tactical police from the National Intervention Unit‚ they engaged the gang of men at Springfield Park’s Value Centre.

Gunmen and police exchanged fire‚ leaving one man dead and another critically wounded – who later died in hospital. The fleeing robbers then led police to the scene of the second shootout in Parlock.

Rescue Care spokesperson Garrith Jamieson said paramedics had declared four men‚ understood to be robbers‚ dead at the scene.

He said four other civilians were injured in the crossfire. They appeared to have been sitting on the roadside having lunch when the fleeing gunmen crashed their car nearby – with police hot on their heels.

A number of Parlock residents gathered at the second scene‚ a cordoned off factory‚ as police investigated.  (Sunday Times)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Three Policemen Held For Burgling, Stealing Jonathan’s TVs, Fridges, Others |RN

 82522-13359goodluck-jonathan-osaseye
                  Former President Goodluck Jonathan

Adelani Adepegba, Abuja

The police authorities have detained three policemen following the reported theft of household items at the former residence of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan in Gwarimpa Estate, Abuja.

Our correspondent gathered on Monday that the policemen would soon face orderly room trial after which they would be dismissed from service for theft.

A source, who is familiar with the investigation into the case, said that the policemen who were guarding the residence had admitted to selling some of the items which they allegedly stole from the house.

The source identified items allegedly stolen by the policemen to include expensive furniture, television sets, refrigerators, split air conditioners,  bowler hats,  designer suits and some Ijaw attire.

It was learnt that the process of easing the men out of service for gross misconduct would soon be finalised.

“The investigation into the theft is almost concluded and it is certain that the policemen involved in the case would be eased out of the service for gross misconduct. How can they steal what they were meant to protect?” the source stated.

The Federal Capital Police Command, in a statement, said it had commenced an investigation into the case, adding that preliminary investigation indicated that some items were “found to be missing in the house.”

“The policemen who are supposed to be on guard duty at the house have been detained for questioning. Investigation to find out what actually happened is currently in progress,” the statement by the police spokesman, Anjuguri Manzah, said.

Meanwhile, the command has warned against unlawful protest in the FCT, noting that some disgruntled elements planned to block major roads in Abuja.

The police said while it would continue to respect the fundamental rights of citizens as stipulated in the constitution, it would not fold its arms and allow any group under whatever guise to jeopardise the peaceful atmosphere in Abuja. (Punchng.com)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

REVEALED: Brave Policeman In Bank Robbery Video Died In April

bankrobbery

Kunle Falayi

A policeman, who has been described by many Nigerians as a hero after a viral video showed him gunning down one of the four armed robbers who attacked a bank in Imo State in February 2017, died two months after the incident, Saturday PUNCH has learnt.

He is Sergeant Chukwudi Iboko.

The three-minute video, apparently a CCTV footage from the bank, has been circulated on news sites and blogs in the last few days, quickly becoming one of the most talked about events of the past week in Nigeria.

It shows a car entering the bank premises, only to be followed by a black Hyundai Elantra, some seconds later. Four men emerged from the vehicle, with three holding weapons, which looked like AK47 rifles.

The video shows the first person out of the vehicle releasing a shot which caused many people at the entrance of the bank, including the uniformed security man, who opened the gate to flee.

But the robbers were swiftly engaged in a gun battle. Shots rang out from the security post at the bank’s entrance, shattering the car windows. An occupant of the car shot back. But one of the robbers, who had tried to attack the occupant of the security post, was instantly shot dead.

 

Bankrobbery2

The robber shot dead by the brave policeman, Chukwudi Iboko

 

The video shows Iboko who shot him escaping from security post, while one of the other robbers pursued and shot after him. The Imo State Police Command told our correspondent that owing to the multiple gunshot injuries sustained by Iboko, he succumbed to his injuries two months later while in intensive care.

The spokesperson for the command, Mr Andrew Enwerem, explained that two other policemen were in the security post during the shootout and also sustained gunshot injuries.

“They were in intensive care for up to two months. The two survived but Iboko died. He was a sergeant and mobile policeman,” Enwerem said.

Prodded for more details, Enwerem said he did not have information about the deceased policeman’s age or his hometown.

Since the video became viral, there have been calls to reveal the fate of the cop as Nigerians demanded more recognition and honour for the deceased policeman.

On Twitter, many said such heroes must be celebrated.

“Can @MobilePUNCH find out who that gallant officer was so we can get to celebrate him?”@Omoboy tweeted, while Ruke Emu-V Igwe replied with “The guy is a real hero.”

Some Nigerians offered to help his family as a reward for his gallantry.

“I hope the injured mobile policeman is well attended to and compensated. Is there a way we can reach him and his family to send little help?”Olusegun Iselaiye tweeted.

Deo Ese also tweeted a similar thought, saying “We will like to know if the MOPOL is alive or dead, we want to start a GoFundMe for him or his family.”

However, security experts have some thoughts on the security arrangement in the nation’s bank.

One of such experts, Mr. Richard Amuwa, who runs Security 24/7, a radio security education programme, said that the video showed that many uniformed security men in Nigeria especially those in banks are mere gatemen.

He said,“When you have a closed gate and see four men inside a car, it should raise alarm bells and see if they are there for business or for something else.

“When you go to many banks you will realise that the security men around are not alert. What that video has shown us  is that there is need to reassess security arrangements in banks.”  (Punchng.com)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Oliver Thambo Airport Heist Suspect Arrested After ‘Suspicious’ Lamborghini Buy

Loyiso Sidimba

            The Lamborghini found at the house of one of the OR Tambo heist suspects.
             Image by: Supplied

Security guards at the OR Tambo International Airport are among five more suspects arrested for the daring R200- million heist, including one found with a multi million- rand Lamborghini.

 

The Sowetan reported that the Hawks, working with the provincial tracking team and crime intelligence in Limpopo, arrested four suspects in Soshanguve, Tembisa, Norkem Park and at an exclusive estate in Centurion, Tshwane.

A source, who asked to remain anonymous, said the 39-year-old Centurion resident was in possession of a Lamborghini and an undisclosed amount of money.

Three of the men are security guards at Africa’s busiest airport , and one guarded the vault in which the stolen millions were kept.

Another man, a foreign national, has been arrested for allegedly cloning the police vehicle used in the heist.

The five are aged between 30 and 40, according to a source with intimate knowledge of the investigation.

Hawks spokesman Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said he could not confirm or deny the arrests.

One of the suspects, whose name is known to The Times, was arrested at his luxury Blue Valley home just hours after posting pictures of himself and friends on social media posing with a brand new R5-million Lamborghini.

On Tuesday, acting national police boss Lieutenant- General Khomotso Phahlane announced that four suspects, including a cop, were arrested.

Two of them have already appeared before the Kempton Park Magistrate’’s Court and face armed robbery charges.

The heist, which occurred two weeks, ago, has already seen five lieutenant-colonels being transferred from the airport, according to the Sunday Times.

Police are yet to confirm whether part of the money has been recovered and are reportedly investigating the exact amount stolen, the currency and the intended destination.

Phahlane said investigations were continuing.

– Additional reporting by Graeme Hosken

(Times Live)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading