Image

24 Nigerian Sex Traffickers From Edo Sentenced To 7 Years Jail Term In France |The Republican News

A French court sentenced 24 members of a Lyon-based sex trafficking ring to prison terms of up to seven years for forcing Nigerian women into prostitution.

Nearly all of the defendants were themselves Nigerian, in the latest case to highlight the growing use of African migrants in the European sex trade.

They include one of Europe’s most wanted women, Jessica Edosomwan, accused of acting as a France-based “madam” to women recruited mainly in Nigeria’s southern Edo State.

Edosomwan was tried in absentia.

Nigeria was the main country of origin for the tens of thousands of migrants who crossed the Mediterranean to Europe by boat in 2016 and 2017.

Many were women and girls lured to Europe with false promises of jobs as hairdressers or seamstresses, only to find themselves selling sex to repay their smugglers.

Seventeen women filed complaints against the defendants but none of the victims attended the trial, with the exception of one former sex worker who found herself in the dock for luring another woman into the trade.

The accused had faced up to 10 years’ imprisonment on charges including human trafficking, pimping, money laundering and helping people live illegally in France.

Prosecutors estimated that the victims, aged 17 to 38, made up to $166 000 a month for the syndicate by selling sex in vans parked by the side of the road for as little as 10 euros.

A French mechanic who looked after the vans was among the 24 defendants.

Last year, 15 members of a Paris-based, female-led pimping ring known as the “Authentic Sisters” – many themselves former trafficking victims – were jailed for up to 11 years for forcing girls into slavery in France.

Similar gangs have also been dismantled in Italy and Britain.

The UN estimates that 80 percent of young Nigerian women arriving in Italy – usually their first port of call in Europe – are already in the clutches of prostitution networks, or quickly fall under their control.

Most of the women come from Nigeria’s Benin City, a human trafficking hotbed.

Many told investigators they had taken part in “juju” or black magic rituals before leaving Nigeria, during which they had to promise to repay the money for their passage to Europe.

Source: AFP

Subscribe to The Republican News. Advertise with us. Call us for press release, enquiries. Email: RepublicanNewsNetwork1@gmail.com, phone: +32497220468, +23481819650279, +32466100102

https://facebook.com/TheRepulicanNews, https://twitter.com/RNNetwork1, https://instagram.com/therepublicannews1

Continue reading
Advertisements
Image

Viral Video: Customs Detains 4 Officers Over Man’s Death At Shagamu Interchange, Ogun State

 

Steve Agbota

 

Following the alleged killing of one Godwin Onoja by operatives of the Federal Operations Unit, (FOU) A of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), on Sunday in Ogun State, the service has detained four of its officers over the incident.

In a press statement obtained by our correspondent, the national Public Relations Officer of the command, DC Joseph Attah, said the service was in touch with the bereaved family of the deceased.

According to Attah, the Comptroller General of the service, Hameed Ali (rtd), has set up a panel led by the Zonal Coordinator, to investigate the killing and vowed that any officer implicated in the killing would be dealt with accordingly.

Recall that a Customs officer, ASCI Destiny Onebamho, on Sunday shot dead a Customs friend in a heated argument with members of a passenger bus in an attempt to intercept bales of used clothing.

However, the Customs spokesman said: “Following the unfortunate incident on Sunday February 17, 2019, at Sagamu Interchange involving Operatives of the Federal Operations Unit Zone A, which led to the death of a fellow citizen, Mr. Godwin Agada Onoja, the Nigeria Customs Service has continued to maintain close contact with the bereaved family.

“We are pained by this sad development and share the grief of losing a fellow compatriot in a seemingly avoidable circumstance. We are and will continue to take every necessary step that will cushion the pain associated with losing a dear one. Consequently, the Comptroller-General of Customs Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali (rtd), has directed a thorough investigation into the immediate and remote causes of the incident with the view to ensuring that justice is served.”

The PRO who assured that the outcome of the panel would be made public for all Nigerians, further stated that the officers whose rifle discharged would also face the panel as soon as he was fit.

“In line with this directive, the investigation panel headed by the Zonal Coordinator Zone A, ACG Kaycee Ekekezie, has interrogated and detained four members of the patrol team.

“The panel could not immediately conclude the investigation because the actual officer (ASCI Destiny Onebamho) whose riffle discharged is presently receiving medical attention as a result of attack following the unfortunate incident. He will face the panel as soon as he is fit to do so, to enable the panel to conclude investigations and recommend appropriate action(s).

“NCS is a reputable organisation known for integrity and responsibility. In line with our corporate values, we will not shield any operative found wanting in this ongoing investigation. The service appreciates the public concern and strong emotions drawn from the viral video with narratives that created various opinions.”

Nigerians will recall that in 2017, the service made public its investigation and dismissal of five officers implicated in the illegal release of the 661-pump action rifles from Apapa Port. The dismissed officers were immediately handed over for prosecution alongside the importer and agent. A prosecution is ongoing at the Federal High Court, Ikoyi Lagos.  (The Sun)

 

Subscribe to The Republican News. Advertise with us, call us for press release.

www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

BREAKING: Court Jails Ex-Plateau Gov. Dariye, 14 Years For N1.16bn Fraud

Joshua-Dariye
  Ex-Plateau State Governor, Joshua Dariye, jailed for 14 years

Ade Adesomoju, Abuja

 

The High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Gudu, Abuja, on Tuesday sentenced a former Governor of Plateau State and serving senator, Joshua Dariye, to 14 years’ imprisonment on charges of criminal breach of trust and misappropriation of overN1.16bn belonging to the state.

Justice Adebukola Banjoko  ‎in a judgment which took her six and a half hours to read convicted the ex-governor on 15 out the 23 counts preferred against him.

The judge barely a fortnight ago, imposed 14 years’ jail term on ex-Governor of Taraba State, Jolly Nyame, on similar charges.

On Tuesday she sentenced ‎Dariye to two years imprisonment on each of the five counts bordering on criminal misappropriation and 14 years’ jail term on each of the 11 counts of criminal breach of trust.

The judge, however, ruled that all the sentences would run concurrently, implying that the convict would have to spend 14 years in jail.

The punishments imposed on the ex-governor for the two categories of offences of criminal breach of trust and criminal misappropriation are the maximum as provided under sections 315 and 309 of the Penal Code Act, respectively.

The judge threw out eight of the 23 charges on the grounds of either duplicity or lack of sufficient evidence.

‎Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s lawyer, Mr Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), had in opposing the defence lawyer’s plea for mercy, urged the court to impose the maximum sentence to serve as deterrence to others.  (Punch)

www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading