Image

Our Daughter’s Killer Must Marry Her Corpse Before Burial |The Republican News

By Babatope Okeowo

 

Parents of a 19-year-old Ebere Confidence Nwanma, who was allegedly killed by her boyfriend, Saliu Ladapo, yesterday said the suspect must marry the deceased at an elaborate wedding ceremony.

This, the parents said, was part of their tradition. The wedding ceremony, according to them, will take place in their hometown in Oru East Local Government Area of Imo State. The family said it was to prevent the death of young children Ladapo’s family from dying.

The 24-year-old Ladapo allegedly killed Ebere at Oshinle area of Akure, Ondo State. He blamed the devil for the death of the school certificate leaver, saying he did not know what came over him when he stabbed Ebere to death.

However, Ebere’s parents, Mr and Mrs Nwanma, insisted that the suspected killer must marry her corpse in their hometown before she could be buried.

“In our place, it is mandatory as our tradition that the man must marry the corpse of our daughter. “He must perform the normal traditional rite by taking the corpse to our village in Oru East in Imo State where the marriage would take place. “It is mandatory that he pays everything multiply by two because he brought our daughter dead for marriage. He would perform all the traditional rites before our family would let him go.

“This is because, without this traditional rite, every young person from the family of the boy would never get to the age of our daughter. They will die a sudden death just like our daughter. “This is not our making; it is the tradition of our ancestors even before we were born. Our people all over the world are waiting for the court judgement. Anyway it goes, the boy must perform that marital rite to our daughter’s corpse before anything,” the parents said.   (New Telegraph)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Advertisements
Image

(Video) Man Snorts 4.5g Cocaine, Runs Half Naked Through Street After Murder |RN

A delivery driver has been jailed for life for stabbing a French tourist to death in an unprovoked and random attack.

Nicholas Foy, 39, had snorted 4.5grams of cocaine in a 24-hour drink and drugs session before running up to Laurent Volpe, 49, who was on his way to visit family.

Foy, wearing only a pair of pink shorts, plunged a large kitchen knife into Mr. Folpe’s stomach, passing through his liver. He then turned on witnesses shouting “Do you want some?” following the senseless and motiveless attack in Eltham, south east London last August.

Prosecutor Susanne Alavi said: “Laurent Volpe was on his way to see his family and happened to walk past Foy who indiscriminately selected him as his victim.

“During his trial, Foy blamed his behaviour on the sheer amount of drink and drugs he had consumed. However, he conceded that when he combined these substances, he could not control his violent and aggressive temper.

“Yet he chose to take this dangerous cocktail before stabbing Mr. Volpe to death.

“This was a callous and, in the event, unsuccessful way of seeking to absolve himself of responsibility.

“I would like to thank the many witnesses, including Mr. Volpe’s family, who came forward and gave evidence in court.

“I hope this sentence provides some comfort for them and Mr. Volpe’s friends. Our thoughts are with them.”

Mr Volpe, who was on a two-week holiday with his wife Cecile Chapais and their two children, collapsed at the scene in Eltham, south east London shortly before 7pm on August 11 last year.

Mr Volpe, an accomplished triathlete from the south of France, had spent the day sightseeing with his family.

 

They returned to Eltham, where they were staying through a house swap and Mr. Volpe popped to a nearby Co-op to get food. But on his way back, he bumped into dad of three, Foy.

When police arrived, Foy punched an officer before he was Tasered and arrested. And as he was taken to hospital for treatment to self-inflicted knife wounds to his foot, he headbutted another officer and had to be sedated by medical staff.

Paramedics took Mr. Volpe to Kings College Hospital in a critical condition but died three days later despite having a liver transplant.

Foy admitted manslaughter, claiming a lack of intent, but denied murder. He was convicted of murder at the Old Bailey on Monday, and jailed for life with a minimum of 17 years.

In the days before the attack Foy, who suffers depression, had not taken his medication, and chose to self-medicate with cocaine and alcohol instead, the judge said.

He had drunk five pints of lager, a litre of Jack Daniels whiskey and rum, and taken up to four-and-a-half grams of cocaine before leaving the house at 6.45pm.

Judge Sarah Munro QC said: “You took with you a large kitchen knife, going back and forward across the road to gouge your foot, believing there was a bomb.

“You had spent the previous evening, night and morning of the 11th of August filling yourself with alcohol and cocaine.

“You took all that, knowing the combination could make you angry, paranoid, aggressive and violent.

“You have a longstanding history of drink and drug abuse. You started taking cocaine aged 17, and took the drug daily until 2013.

“You also told the jury you have had a problem with alcohol for two years. Your records suggest it was a lot longer.”

(Metro)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Miyetti Allah Leaders Held Responsible For Benue Killings, Lawmaker Calls For Arrests

Miyetti-Allah-Cattle-Breeders-Association

Rose Ejembi, Makurdi

A lawmaker representing Katsina-Ala, Ukum and Logo Federal Constituency at the National Assembly, Emmanuel Udende, has condemned in strong terms the wanton killing of over 73 people by Fulani herdsmen in parts of his constituency Logo and Guma in Benue State, even as he accused leaders of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore (MAKH) of masterminding the attacks, calling for their arrest and prosecution.

The Federal lawmaker described the unprovoked attacks on his constituents as barbaric and wicked, stressing that the aim for the invasion was to dislodge the farming communities from their homes during the time of harvest.

He recounted how MAKH, a splinter body of cattle breeders in the country, had issued threats to invade the state if the state implements the anti-open grazing law, which sought to bring to an end to incessant cases of herders/farmers clashes.

Udende noted that the recent violence against the people was a clear manifestation of the earlier threat by the body to mobilize against the implementation of the law in the state. He called on security agencies to immediately arrest leaders of the group.

In a press statement signed by his Special Assistant on Media, Jerry Iorngaem, and  made available to journalists in Makurdi, the lawmaker expressed disappointment with the Federal Government in the manner it has handled the crisis, questioning why the Inspector General of Police would describe the invasion as a communal clash when it is obvious that the herdsmen carried out the attacks without any reprisal attack from the farmers.

Udende, who is Deputy Chairman, House Committee on Police Affairs, stated that the Benue State Government and other stakeholders had earlier drawn the attention of security agencies and the Federal Government to the impending herdsmen attack, but no serious security measures were put in place to protect the people – a negligence which finally resulted to the recent attacks

While sympathizing with the families of those that were massacred in the attacks, as well as those who were injured and the displaced, Udende charged them to remain calm as the Benue state government, in collaboration with stakeholders in the state, were doing everything humanly possible with the view to protecting them from further attacks and to also ensure justice for victims of this act of cruelty.

He expressed his total support and that of his constituents to the continued implementation of the anti-open grazing law in the State, stating that it remained the best global practice in the business of cattle rearing and must be encouraged

The lawmaker charged President Muhamadu Buhari to, as a matter of urgency, direct security agencies to rise up to their responsibility of securing the lives of Benue people. (The Sun)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Arewa Youth Consultative Forum Insists Buhari Must Declare Fulani Herdsmen Terrorists

Fulaniherdsman

Fulani herdsman armed with AK47 rifle

Reacting to the incessant killing by Fulani herdsmen across the country, Comrade Mohammed Kudu Abubakar, Deputy National President of Arewa Youth Consultative Forum maintained that President Muhammadu Buhari should immediately pronounce herdsmen as a terrorist organization.

Comrade Abubakar revealed his disgust at how the president has kept silent for long over the killings by herdsmen despite calls from all corners demanding that the president take proactive actions in curbing the excesses of Fulani herdsmen.

Condemning the various killings by herdsmen, Comrade Abubakar said that herdsmen should be seen as a terrorist group because they have been killing for long and should be dealt with in line with the law of the country.

“A criminal is a criminal; they are terrorists and have to be dealt with regarding whether they are from any tribe. The president should follow the constitution and deal with them accordingly. The killing is very criminal and the herdsmen should not go unpunished,” The Deputy President of Arewa Youth Consultative Forum said.

He also demanded that a committee is set up to investigate how herdsmen evolved from nomads into gun-wielding cattle rearers.

“The federal government has to make a panel to investigate who these herdsmen are and why they behave the way they do. We need to ask where they get the guns they used in the killing and where they learned how to shoot guns,” he said.

Commenting on the Anti-Open Grazing Bill (currently in practice in only Ekiti and Benue state) which Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association strongly opposed, Comrade Abubakar upheld that each state has the right to pass a law that will guide the state and herdsmen should either abide by this law or leave the state.

“If Benue State comes out with the law through its National Assembly and bars movement of Fulani herdsmen, they have the right to do so. It is their state, that is how they want to stay and there is nothing wrong in that. They (herdsmen) should move away from the state rather than forcing themselves and be causing trouble because a lot of lives are going down,” he opined.

He then beckoned on the military to begin a raid to fish out and prosecute herdsmen who go around with guns to prevent further loss of lives and properties.                     (Sahara Reporters)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Fulani Herdsmen Killings In Benue Is Terrorism, Ethnic Cleansing, Says Fayose

ayodele-fayose

Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose

…Calls on FG to end herdsmen’s menace

Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti state has called on the Federal Government to put a permanent stop to the killings in Benue State by herdsmen, saying “what is happening in Benue and other middle-belt States is more than a strive between herdsmen and local farmers, it has gotten to the level of terrorism and ethnic cleansing.

“Just now, we heard the news of the herdsmen attacking the camp of Mobile policemen, Mopol 13 in Benue, killing two officers by slitting their throats. Do you call people who could invade the camp of mobile policemen in a guerilla manner and overpower armed Mopol mere Fulani herdsmen?”

Governor Fayose, who sympathised with the government and people of Benue State for the murder of 59 people last week, said President Muhammadu Buhari must take decisive steps to sop what he described as an attempt to wipe the Agatu and Tiv people of Benue state off the face of the earth.

According to a statement on Tuesday, by his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, Governor Fayose also berated the likes of former President Olusegun Obasanjo for keeping silent on while thousands of Nigerians were being killed by herdsmen.

He said; “Nigerians are gradually beginning to see these killings as a case of hand of Esau, voice of Jacob. It is man inhumanity to man, clear cruelty and unacceptable.”

The governor, who said all men of god conscience in the country should rise in condemnation of the nonchalant attitude of the federal government on the herdsmen criminal activities, added that; “What is happening in Benue and other States in the North-central is an issue that the President Buhari must have to take decisive steps. We never had killings like these under previous administrations. It is one killing too many!”

Governor Fayose said no one can deny the fact that the Fulani herdsmen have become a nightmare to Nigerians.

He said; “On the Global Terrorism Index, Fulani militant group (herdsmen) operating in Nigeria and parts of the Central African Republic is the fourth deadliest known terrorist group.

“A group declared as the fourth deadliest terrorist group in the world as far back as 2015 cannot be handled with levity by the federal government as being done presently and the earlier President Buhari is made to realize that his main duty is protect the lives of all Nigerians, the better.

“Most importantly, the silence of the people does not amount to their inability to defend themselves. And it should be known to the powers that be that everybody in Nigeria has rights to life.

“Taking lives cheaply and brazenly as being done by the herdsmen is the height of evil which no responsible government should allow. The federal government must have to take decisive steps to end this pogrom and stop playing to the gallery.

“As it is, police do not have capacity to handle the situation in Benue and we will not be surprised if the herdsmen begin to move from one state to the other to cause further havoc because they are getting away with murder daily. Therefore, the federal government needs to do more; otherwise, Nigerians will begin to see the herdsmen as the APC hit group.”    (The Sun)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Suspected Fulani Herdsmen Kill Two In Benue Community |The Republican News

Fulaniherdsman

File Photo: Fulani Herdsman with AK47 rifle

Two persons were yesterday (Sunday), reportedly killed by suspected Fulani herdsmen during an attack on Odonto village in Akpa district of Otukpo Local of Benue State.  

According to sources from the community who spoke with our correspondent yesterday evening, two nursing mothers also sustained bullet wound during the invasion of the area by the Fulani herdsmen.

One of our sources, Aba Ejembi disclosed that the attackers invaded the community in the early hours of Sunday leaving villagers scampering for safety while gunshots resonated through the hitherto peaceful village.

He disclosed further that remains of the deceased victims had been deposited at the morgue while the wounded were currently receiving treatment at the Otukpo General Hospital.

Asked the reason for the attack, Ejembi posited that it may not be unconnected with the alleged disappearance of two Fulani men around the Odonto community two weeks ago.

“Recently, Fulani men claimed two of their men disappeared around the location about two weeks ago at a check point which is non existent and five vigilante men were detained by the Area Commander at Otukpo and moved to State Command and these men were granted bail on Wednesday last week.”

When contacted, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Moses Yamu who confirmed the report said the attack may not be unconnected with the disappearance of two Fulani men in the area two weeks back.

 “We received a report two weeks ago that two Fulani men who were traveling along that community suddenly got missing with their motorcycle and all efforts to trace them till now proved abortive. Today’s attack may be a reprisal for that act,” Yamu said.  (The Sun)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Delta State CP Orders Arrest Of Four Officers For Murder |The Republican News

Zanna-Ibrahim-Mohammed

From Paul Osuyi, Asaba

The Commissioner of Police in Delta State, Mr Zanna Ibrahim, has ordered the immediate arrest, detention and investigation of four policemen for alleged professional misconduct and murder.
In a press release made available to newsmen in Asaba by the command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Andrew Aniamaka disclosed that the CP gave the directive following a report that the affected office shot three persons during a child dedication ceremony in Warri.
Aniamaka gave the names of the officers as Inspector Samuel Imana, Inspector Anthony Nwali, Sergeant Anthony Oniri and Corporal Innocent Ajah, adding that they were attached to Area Commander’s office, Warri.
He said during the child dedication ceremony at Edjewo by Poloko Market in the oil-rich city, the officers were “alleged to have engaged in shooting, which resulted in the death of Elvis Ovie while two others were injured.
“The CP who was miffed at the apparently reckless and unwarranted shooting by the police officers vowed that appropriate sanctions would be meted to the erring officers after an investigation is concluded.
“The CP, while reiterating that the command will not condone any act of impunity by any of his officers and men, expresses his heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the deceased and the injured and prays for the speedy recovery of the injured victims.”
About two months ago, the command dismissed three officers who were caught on illegal duty. The dismissed officers are now facing trial in court.  (The Sun)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading