Image

Scores Killed In Fresh Boko Haram Attack On Army Location |The Republican News

Olaleye Aluko, Abuja

Boko Haram terrorists, in what appears to be an unending onslaught on locations of the Nigerian Army, on Wednesday evening attacked the troops’ base in Damasak, Borno State, resulting in a heavy gunfire which lasted for several hours.

The army has confirmed the attack, saying troops of 145 Battalion in Damasak, withstood the insurgents and killed scores of them in the firefight.

The army was, however, silent on the number of casualties sustained on the side of the troops.

Damasak is a town in the Mobbar Local Government Area, some 146 Kilometres from Maiduguri, the state capital.

It will be recalled that the Boko Haram insurgents only last week attacked troops’ location in Gudumbali in the Guzamala LGA and Baga in the Kukawa LGA, resulting in an undisclosed number of casualties on both sides.

The army’s Director of Public Relations and Information, Brig. Gen. Texas Chukwu, on Thursday confirmed that “many Boko Haram terrorists” were killed in the attack on troops’ location in Damasak.

He said, “Troops of 145 Battalion in Damasak engaged the Boko Haram terrorists who came to attack their location at about 6pm on Wednesday. This resulted into a fierce battle.

“The troops engaged and subdued the terrorists in Damasak following a superior firepower. The troops’ aggressive posture, tactics and marksmanship resulted in the neutralising of many Boko Haram terrorists.

“Consequently, the army wishes to state that the fight against Boko Haram terrorists in the North-East part of the country is yielding a positive result.

“We, therefore, advise members of the public, particularly residents of the affected areas, to go about their legitimate businesses as the army will continue to protect lives and property of citizens at all times.”   (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Advertisements
Image

Buhari Doesn’t Bother Paying Terrorists To Secure Girls’ Freedom – Femi Adesina

Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina

 

 

Eniola Akinkuotu, Abuja

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, says only God can say when abducted Dapchi girl, Leah Sharibu, will be released by Boko Haram.

Adesina said this on Tuesday during a live programme on Channels Television.

He said, “For how much longer? I think that question can only be answered by God but I believe God is interested in that young girl and will ensure that she is preserved and at least by the time that clip is verified, one will be sure that it is her actually and once that is determined, we should all be glad that she is alive. When will she return? By the grace of God, the government is working on it and we believe she will be back.”

The President’s spokesman said Buhari saw nothing wrong in paying terrorists ransom.

He said if need be, he would pay ransom to secure the release of persons in captivity.

Adesina, however, faulted a report by the United Nations that some money was paid for the release of some Dapchi girls, insisting that the organisation got its facts wrong.

He added, “One thing we should always remember as Nigerians is that early in the life of the administration, the President had said on the Chibok girls before the Dapchi incident happened that whatever it took to rescue them, he would do, including paying. He is on record to have said that.

“It baffles me each time that controversy comes up. I remember the President said in 2015 that we would get these girls back even if it meant paying. So, if a President of the country has made that declaration, what then is the fuss?

“Payments are made all over the world even though countries may never admit.”

When asked how long it would take for security agencies to verify the authenticity of the audio clip released on Monday in which Sharibu was heard pleading for her rescue, Adesina said he could not say but it should not take long.

“It is within the purview of the Department of State Services to do that but it should not take long Left to the President, he wants her back today,” he added.

On whether the Presidency was keeping in touch with the family of the abducted girl, Adesina argued that it was not the responsibility of the President.

He maintained that it ought to be the job of the local government chairman or the state government under whose jurisdiction the abduction took place.

The President’s spokesman also said it was the duty of Non-Governmental Organisations to provide succour to the families of abducted persons but sadly many of them preferred to politicise matters and engage in protests.

Adesina added, “I expect the Yobe State Government to be in touch with the family to grant her some succour. It is not purely a Presidency matter. In Nigeria,  people expect the Presidency to do everything. The local government and state government should be in touch with the family.

“That is why you have NGOs. They should do this instead of engaging in agitations and politicising the matter. Those NGOs and agencies and organisations can also do something for the families.”

Asked to speak on the alleged forgery of a National Youth Service Corps exemption certificate by the Minister of Finance, Mrs Kemi Adeosun, the President’s spokesman said the NYSC should be given ample time to conduct a proper investigation.

“It is not how long but how well,” he said when asked why the investigation was taking long.

Asked if the Presidency shared the view of the Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), that Adeosun could hold a government position without undergoing the mandatory NYSC exercise,  Adesina responded in the negative.

He said Sagay expressed a personal opinion.

The President’s spokesman, however, said Sagay’s input was not needed in this case as the matter did not border on corruption.

Adesina added, “It is his personal opinion. It was a personal comment. It is not the position of the government and Prof. Sagay has a right to his opinion.

“It will not be Prof. Sagay’s position to advise on that matter because it is not a corruption matter so to speak.”

In her reaction, however, a former Minister of Education, Mrs Oby Ezekwesili, berated Adesina for smiling while speaking on the abduction of Sharibu and for also failing to give precise answers.

Ezekwesili, who is the Co-Convener of the Bring Back Our Girls group, said this in a series of tweets on her official Twitter handle.

“Who else listened to the President’s media aide Femi Adesina, find anything worthy to laugh about while speaking about abducted children and their parents?

“A spokesperson that never has facts on hot-button issues — ‘I believe’, “I expect’, ‘some agency not presidency’. Na REAL wa (sic).”  (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Nigerian Government Paid Huge Ransom For Release Of Dapchi Girls – UN Report

Adelani Adepegba, Abuja

 

The United Nations has said that the Federal Government paid a huge ransom to Boko Haram for the release of the abducted Dapchi schoolgirls in March 2018.

The government had denied reports that it paid millions of Euros for the release of the girls, noting that the hostages were released in exchange for detained Boko Haram commanders.

But the UN report stated that ransom from abductions, donations from charity groups and the cash economy were fueling the bloody activities of the Boko Haram and other terrorist groups in the Lake Chad Basin region.

These were contained in the 22nd Report of the Analytical Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team, pursuant to resolution 2368 (2017) concerning Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant and associated individuals and entities.

The report said the number of doctrinally based non-governmental organisations sending funds to local terrorist groups was growing, and the Member States were concerned that radicalisation was increasing the threat level in the Sahel.

The report, which was submitted to the Security Council Committee said, “Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province have had a similar impact in their areas of control, including the Lake Chad basin.

“The predominance in the region of the cash economy, without controls, is conducive to terrorist groups funded by extortion, charitable donations, smuggling, remittances and kidnapping.”

It added, “In Nigeria, 111 schoolgirls from the town of Dapchi were kidnapped on 18 February 2018 and released by ISWAP on 21 March in exchange for a large ransom payment.”

The report was signed by Edmund Fitton-Brown, Coordinator, Analytical Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team and Kairat Umarov, Chair, Security Council Committee.

The UN Security Council committee on al Qaeda sanctions blacklisted and imposed sanctions on the Islamist militant group Boko Haram in 2014 after the insurgents kidnapped more than 200 Chibok schoolgirls.

The designation, which came into effect after no objections were raised by the Security Council’s 15 members, subjected Boko Haram to UN sanctions, including an arms embargo, asset freeze and travel ban.   (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

BREAKING: No Dime Was Paid To Free Dapchi Girls, FG Refutes UN Report |RN

  The Minister of Information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed

 

Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja

The Federal Government has insisted that it did not pay any ransom to secure the release of the Dapchi girls.

In a statement issued in Ilorin, Kwara State, on Thursday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, challenged anyone who has any evidence of payment to publish such.

Related: Nigerian Government Paid Huge Ransom For Release Of Dapchi Girls – UN Report

”It is not enough to say that Nigeria paid a ransom, little or huge. There must be a conclusive evidence to support such a claim.

“Without that, the claim remains what it is: a mere conjecture,” the minister said.

A report released by the United Nations had claimed that the Federal Government paid a huge ransom to Boko Haram for the release of the abducted Dapchi schoolgirls in March 2018.   (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Police Parade Commander, 21 Others Involved In Chibok Girls’ Kidnap |RN

BOKO HARAM COMMANDER

 

Christopher Oji and Timothy Olarewaju, Maiduguri

Boko Haram terrorist commander who spearheaded the kidnap of over 200 secondary schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State, in 2014 and 21 other members of the group have been arrested.

He was also responsible for over 50 suicide bombings within Maiduguri, Borno State, and Adamawa State, and the invasion of Bama and Gwoza.

His gang was also responsible for several attacks, ambush and killing of thousands of Nigerians, including security agents and civilians, in Borno and other North-East states of Nigeria.

BOKO-HARM-KIDNAPPERS

 

Recovered from the suspects were 11 AK-47 rifles and other weapons.

A senior police officer said, irked by the persistent suicide bombings and killing of residents in the North East by terrorist i recent times, Inspector-General of Police Ibrahim Idris equipped and deployed special operatives of the IGP Intelligence Response Team (IRT) led by DCP Abba Kyari with enough technical intelligence to Maiduguri to trace and arrest the terrorists responsible for suicide bombings and other terrorist attacks in the North East.

The force public relations officer, Moshood Jimoh, said: “After a lot of planning and use of advanced technology, between July 4 and 9, IRT special teams, with support from SARS/CRACK teams of Borno State Command, swung into action and eventually succeeded in arresting 22 confirmed Boko Haram terrorists (BHT) who confessed to several suicide bomb explosions within Borno and Adamawa states, kidnapping of the Chibok schoolgirl, and invasion of Bama and Gwoza, among many other crimes. The suspects narrated various roles each of them played. Among them are the commanders and coordinators of suicide bombings in Borno State, Coordinator and members of the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping, ambushes on security agents, logistics suppliers and their receivers of gold, international currencies, cows, etc.

 

“The suspects are Modu, aka Abor, who confessed to being one of the Boko Haram commanders who coordinated and led the kidnapping of the Chibok schoolgirls in 2014 and several attacks on Bama, Gwoza and Mubi towns in Borno and Adamawa states; Mohammed, who confessed to have participated in the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping and coordinating suicide bombings; Jidda, who confessed to have participated in the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping and coordinating suicide bombings; Wardi, who also confessed to participating in the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping and coordinating suicide bombings; Alhaji Jidda, who confessed to have participated in the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping and coordinating suicide bombings and others.

“Ajiri Bu confessed to having participated in the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping and arranging suicide bombings, and others who played one role or the other.

“The suspects have confessed to be masterminds of several attacks and suicide bomb blasts in Baga Road, 3-3, Custom, Bulunkutu, Post Office, Muna, Kasuwan Shanu, Dalori IDP camp, etc, in Maiduguri and many suicide attacks in Adamawa State, killing of thousands of innocent Nigerians, including ambush on security agents and civilians in the many parts of northeast Nigeria.

Eleven rifles and many other weapons and exhibits were recovered from the deadly terrorist group.”

Moshood said the suspects were helping the authorities with useful information to arrest other fleeing Boko Haram commanders.  (The Sun)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Nigerian Army Denies Report On Missing Soldiers After Attack By Boko Haram

By Abisola Olasupo

Nigeria Army Monday said the reports that many soldiers went missing after their post was attacked by Boko Haram insurgents were not true.

An AFP reports Sunday said hundreds of soldiers after the attack, a second in days, on a remote military base which held about 734 troops in northeast Nigeria.

The base is reported to be new and the troops arrived there only recently from Lagos.

The reports quoted an unnamed military source.

“Boko Haram terrorists attacked troops of the 81st Division Forward Brigade at Jilli village in Geidam district. The terrorists came in huge numbers around 7:30 pm (1830 GMT) and overran the base after a fierce battle that lasted until 9:10 pm,” the unnamed military source told AFP.

“The base had 734 troops. Currently, the commander of the base and 63 soldiers have made it to Geidam (60 kilometres away) while the remaining 670 are being expected,” he said, without elaborating on their possible fate.

“We don’t know if there were any casualties among the troops. That will be known later.”

Although it acknowledged that there was a gun battle between the insurgents and troops and that the soldiers had an initial difficulty, the Army said none of its troops was captured, calling the reports “misleading”.

“The Nigerian Army wishes to state categorically that the report is not only untrue but misleading as the said report is blown out of proportion by the media,” Army spokesman Texas Chukwu said in a statement.

“The Nigeria Army wishes to state that there was an attempted attack on troops at Kwakwa and Chingori communities in Bama area of Borno State by suspected Boko Haram Terrorists as a result of difficult terrain where our vehicles bogged down.

“The terrorists also attempted to cart away troops operational vehicles but were successfully repelled by our gallant troops with the support of the Nigerian Air Force. About 22 members of Boko Haram terrorists were neutralised while several others escaped with gunshot wounds.   (The Guardian)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Man Finds Suspected Thieves Are Police Officers As He Went To Report |RN

Kenyan-police

Kenyan Police

A Kenyan man, Jervason Musinga Kiendi, 33, who went to a police station to report a case of robbery was shocked to see the robbers behind the police reporting desk.

Kiendi accused the three policemen, who were in a saloon car of seizing him moments after he withdrew cash from a bank in Machakos town on Friday.

Kiendi, 33, said they robbed him of Sh390,000 (N139,978) and dumped him in a bush in Konza.

However, when he went to Machakos Police Station to report the incident, Kiendi claimed he found two of his attackers at the station, and they refused to record his statement.

He returned to the police station the next day and found the third man he claimed was part of the gang that robbed him manning the reporting desk. The policeman allegedly kept him waiting in the reports office.

He then went to Salama Police Station in Makueni County where he made the report.

In the statement he made in Salama, Kiendi said he withdrew Sh400,000 from Equity Bank in Machakos around midday on Friday and immediately spent Sh10,000. Later, as he walked from the bank to the local referral hospital, a saloon car with three male occupants stopped at the hospital gate. The men bundled him into the car, threatened to shoot him and took him to the Machakos-Konza road, where they dumped him after robbing him of the money.

Kiendi told police a good Samaritan offered him a lift from the robbery scene to Machakos Police Station. “He says he found two of the men who robbed him of the money at the office where he went to report in civilian clothes. He alleges he tried to make a report on the incident but was told to wait outside until late in the evening,” said an officer aware of the matter.

Machakos County police boss, Samuel Mukinda, said they had opened investigations into the claims. “We intend to visit the bank to confirm if he withdrew the money and conduct a thorough probe before we establish a way forward,” said Mr Mukinda.

He added that the victim’s allegations were serious and would be handled seriously. (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading