Advertisements
Image

APC Primaries: Aisha Buhari Slams Oshiomhole, Says Impunity Reigns Under Him

             Wife of the President, Mrs Aisha Buhari

• President wife’s brother loses Adamawa gov ticket

Olalekan Adetayo, Kamarudeen Ogundele, Peter Dada and Hindi Livinus

Wife of the President, Mrs Aisha Buhari, on Sunday, faulted the manner in which some of the primaries of the ruling All Progressives Congress were conducted.

She particularly took a swipe at the party’s National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole, who she accused of allowing impunity under his watch.

Mrs Buhari made her position known in a series of tweets she posted on her verified Twitter handle, @aishambuhari, on Sunday.

She regretted that Oshiomhole, despite his activism background, could allow such a conduct under his leadership.

She said the conduct negated the principle of change that the APC stood for.

The President’s wife, whose brother contested the governorship primary in Adamawa State and lost to the incumbent, however, did not mention the specific cases she was referring to.

She, however, called on Nigerians to rise against impunity and for voters to demand from aspirants to be committed to the provision of basic amenities.

Mrs Buhari said, “It is disheartening to note that some aspirants used their hard-earned money to purchase nomination forms, got screened, cleared and campaigned vigorously yet found their names omitted on election day. These forms were bought at exorbitant prices.

“Many others contested and yet had their result delayed, fully knowing that automatic tickets had been given to other people.

“The All Progressives Congress, being a party whose cardinal principle is change and headed by a comrade/ activist whose main concern is for the common man, yet, such impunity could take place under his watch.

“It is important for the populace to rise against impunity and for voters to demand from aspirants to be committed to the provision of basic amenities such as potable water, basic health care (Primary Health Care centres)

“Given this development, one will not hesitate than dissociate from such unfairness, be neutral and speak for the voiceless.

“Education within conducive and appropriate learning environments. Let us vote wisely! Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

When contacted, the acting National Publicity Secretary of the APC, Yekini Nabena, said he had not seen Aisha’s tweets and as such could not respond.

He said, “I have not seen it (tweets). I cannot react to something I have not seen.”

Though a screen grab of the tweet was sent to him, a response was still being awaited from him as of 5: 53 pm when this report was filed.

Governor Bundow of Adamawa State emerged the winner of the disputed governorship primary in the state.

Bindow polled 193,656 votes in the direct primary to defeat Mahmood Halilu, Aisha Buhari’s younger brother and Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, a former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, who polled 15,498 and 7,705 votes respectively.

The results, declared by the chairman of the 25-member electoral panel, Jibrin Ahmed, came amidst controversy, following calls for the cancellation of the primary by Ribadu and Mahmood earlier on.

Both Ribadu and Mahmood, who stated their rejection of the outcome of the primary election, attributed their decision to the irregularities which they said marred the exercise.

Mahmood,  who addressed journalists on Saturday, dismissed the primary as a charade, saying “even if I am declared the winner,  my conscience will not allow me to accept it.”

He stated, “It is surprising that the guidelines were flouted with impunity to the extent that an electoral officer,  Mr Peter Nwadozie,  who supervised the exercise in the Mubi North Local Government Area,  announced the result of the election and declared one of the aspirants as the winner in camera.

“Even before the commencement of the exercise and arrival of materials, government officials were on social media posting outcome of the election that did not take place.

“I will not accept this result, even if it favours me because the whole process has been compromised.”

Primary: Ekiti senatorial aspirant demands cancellation

In Ekiti State, an APC senatorial aspirant for Ekiti North Senatorial District, Chief Kayode Otitoju, demanded cancellation of the results, if he would not be declared the winner.

Otitoju, who alleged that the primary was fraught with fraud and irregularities, urged the National Working Committee of the party to consider his demand in the interest of the party to avoid a legal action.

A former member of the Senate, Olubunmi Adetumbi, had been returned as the winner in the primary.

Adetumbi was said to have polled 21,763 in the direct primary conducted by the Dr Ibrahim Sule-led APC Senatorial Primary Committee in the state, on Friday.

Registering his protest at the APC Secretariat in Ado Ekiti on Sunday, the former state’s Commissioner for Information claimed that no election was held in the five local governments that constituted the district.

He said, “There are two options left for the party under this circumstance; it is either they order a rerun of the primary by not recognising Senator Adetumbi or declare me the winner on personal recognition.”

We have no candidate yet in Ondo, say aspirants

Some House of Representatives and House of Assembly aspirants on the platform of the APC in Ondo State have called on the national leadership of the party to conduct a fresh primary for Akoko North-East/ Akoko North-West Federal Constituency of the state.

The aspirants, who are 13 in number, condemned the statement credited to the state chairman of the party, Mr Ade Adetimehin,  that a peaceful election was held in the federal constituency and the candidate had emerged, last week.

In a statement jointly signed by the aggrieved aspirants on Sunday, they demanded a fresh election for the real candidate of the party to emerge.  (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Advertisements
Image

US Says Impunity, Massive Corruption Still Rife In Nigeria Under Buhari|RN

                                   President Buhari

• Shiite, IPOB extrajudicial killings, Dasuki’s detention cited as rights abuses, violation of rule of law

Tobi Soniyi in Lagos

The United States Department of State has again issued a damning assessment of Nigeria under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari in its 2017 Country Report on Human Rights released last Friday in Washington D.C.

In the 48-page report posted on the website of the State Department, the U.S. government said impunity remained widespread at all levels of government in Nigeria, further noting that the Buhari-led administration lacked transparency.

A copy of the report obtained by THISDAY added that government officials engaged in massive corruption.
Corruption, the report said, was not limited to government officials but very rampant among the security agencies.

The report stated: “Although the law provides criminal penalties for conviction of official corruption, the government did not implement the law effectively, and officials frequently engaged in corrupt practices with impunity.
“Massive, widespread, and pervasive corruption affected all levels of government and the security services.”

On the anti-corruption agencies, the report noted that although the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) efforts remained largely focused on low – and mid-level government officials, following the 2015 presidential election both organisations started investigations into and brought indictments against various active and former high-level government officials.

It, however, observed that the EFCC often did not observe all due process safeguards and refused to obey court orders granting bail to the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki.
“Many of these cases were pending in court. According to both ICPC and EFCC, the delays were the result of a lack of judges and the widespread practice of filing for and granting multiple adjournments.

“EFCC’s arrests and indictments of politicians continued throughout the year, implicating a significant number of opposition political figures and leading to allegations of partisan motivations on the part of the EFCC.

“In a case brought by the EFCC, in November a federal court convicted four firms allegedly used by a former aide of former President Goodluck Jonathan of laundering 1.67 billion naira ($$55.3 million) in stolen funds.

“In its pursuit of corruption, the EFCC often did not observe all pertinent due process safeguards. In November, the Economic Community of West African States Court of Justice declared unlawful the arrest and detention in 2015 of former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki.

“A court ordered him released on bail in a case brought by the EFCC for the alleged diversion of 13.6 billion naira ($$443.2 million) intended to purchase military material during the Jonathan administration. Despite the court order, he remained in detention,” said the report.

In support of the claim that impunity remains the order of the day in Nigeria, the report further noted that government did not often take steps to prosecute officials who perpetuated impunity whether in the security forces or elsewhere in government.
It, however, acknowledged that government did take steps to investigate such impunity but failed to bring to book those who violated the law.

The report cited various instances including the atrocities allegedly committed in the North-east by members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) and the refusal to bring to justice military men who killed members of the Shia group Islamic Movement of Nigeria in 2015 in circumstances adjudged to be extrajudicial.

“As of November, the government had not adequately investigated or held police or military personnel accountable for extrajudicial killings of supporters of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra,” the report added.

Excerpts from the report added: “Authorities generally did not hold police, military, or other security force personnel accountable for the use of excessive or deadly force or for the deaths of persons in custody.

“State and federal panels of inquiry investigating suspicious deaths generally did not make their findings public.
“In August, the acting president (Yemi Osinbajo) convened a civilian-led presidential investigative panel to review compliance of the armed forces with human rights obligations and rules of engagement. As of November, the panel had not issued a report.”

The state department report stated that respect for human rights generally remained appalling in Nigeria.
The report identified the following as the most significant human rights abuses: extrajudicial and arbitrary killings; disappearances and arbitrary detentions; torture, particularly in detention facilities, including sexual exploitation and abuse; use of children by some security elements, looting, and destruction of property; civilian detentions in military facilities, often based on flimsy evidence; denial of fair public trial; executive influence on the judiciary; infringement on citizens’ privacy rights; restrictions on freedoms of speech, press, assembly, and movement; official corruption; lack of accountability in cases involving violence against women and children, including female genital mutilation/cutting and sexual exploitation of children; trafficking in persons; early and forced marriages; criminalisation of status and same-sex sexual conduct based on sexual orientation and gender identity; and forced and bonded labour.

Speaking during the official release of the report, the Acting Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labour of the US Department of State, Mr Michael Kozak, said the 2017 report marked the 42nd year that the U.S. has published the country-specific annual Human Rights Reports.

He said the law requires the U.S. executive to produce the report every year.
According to him, “This goes back to the 1970s when Congress said to the Executive Branch, ‘When we’re making decisions about foreign assistance and security assistance and trade agreements and all of that, we’d really like to know: what is the human rights situation in the countries that we’re dealing with’.”

He said the U.S. did not produce the report to pass judgment “on other countries or to name and shame”.
“It’s to fulfil a statutory responsibility to our Congress to try to produce the most accurate description of what we find is going on in other countries so that they can use that in making decisions,” he explained.
Efforts to get the Minister of Information and Culture, Mr Lai Mohammed, to react to the report proved abortive as his phone was switched off.  (THISDAY)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Boko Haram: I Will Probe Buhari – Atiku

Atiku-abubakar1

Atiku Abubakar

Atiku Abubakar, a former Vice-President of Nigeria has said he will investigate the arms procurement of the Buhari led administration if he wins the 2019 election.

Mr Atiku who has been nursing his presidential ambition since 2003 stated this in an interview with BBC Hausa on Saturday. He said the Boko Haram war is taking too long.

“Eight years after, the Nigerian government is still fighting Boko Haram that is not professionally trained,” he said.

“I want to be the president of Nigeria because I would be able to do things I could not do as vice president. I will investigate how the government was unable to defeat Boko Haram for years. I will also investigate the procurement of arms bought by this administration.”

He also vowed to tackle corruption, accusing the government of Buhari of protecting some persons who ought to be prosecuted.

“If Nigerians can recall, we initiated the Economic and Financial (Crimes) Commission (EFCC). I’m the person that sourced from the takeoff funds for the EFCC,” he said.

“In this administration, there are people who are untouchable, they are doing things that are not in order but they are being shielded by the government. If elected Nigeria’s president, my administration will not spare anybody. When I was in power, none of my relatives or friends was found wanting.”

He said before he left the All Progressives Congress (APC), he warned Buhari that he would quit if the party was not restructured.

Abubakar resigned his membership of the ruling party in November and returned to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) where he served as the nation’s number two citizen for eight years.

He said after the 2015 election, he met Buhari and advised him on the running of his government but that the president failed to heed his warning or implement his advice.

“The APC started on a wrong footing after President Buhari assumed office,” Abubakar said.

“After 2015 general election, I met the president and told him the activities of the party had been crippled and there was a need for restructuring.

“Also, the way the government was being run; I made my suggestions but it seemed they were deemed not important to them. I said to him, if things continued like this, I will quit but Buhari  ignored it.”   (New Telegraph)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

%d bloggers like this: