Image

2019: Edwin Clark’s Wife To Contest Against Amosun For Ogun Central Senatorial Seat

       The wife of Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark, Dr (Mrs) Abisola Shodipo-Clark

Samuel Awoyinfa, Abeokuta

 

The wife of Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark, Dr(Mrs) Abisola Shodipo-Clark, on Tuesday, declared her intention to vie for the Ogun Central Senatorial Seat in the National Assembly in the 2019 general elections.

She said she would be vying on the platform of the African Democratic Congress. It will be recalled that Shodipo-Clark had contested the same position in 2015 on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party.

The state governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun had last week declared his intention to contest the same senatorial seat in 2019 on the platform of the ruling party in the state.

She told journalists at the party’s secretariat at Agbeloba, Abeokuta, that she had submitted her letter of intent to the State Chairman of the party, Chief Gbolade Osinowo.

The senatorial aspirant called for more representation of the womenfolk in the National Assembly for optimal development.

He said, “You remember that recent United Nations resolution is that for us to achieve optimal development, especially in developing countries, we need to have at least 60 per cent representation of women in our National Assembly.

“I believe that if this can be achieved, we will be able to get it better, creating health, wealth, development, progress and taking our country out of the recession it is in currently.”

She said if elected in 2019, she promised quality representation for her constituency.

Shodipo-Clark, who was a former Commissioner for Health in the state, assured the leadership of the party of her resolve to ensure its victory in the elections.   (Punch)

www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Advertisements
Image

Edwin Clark Berates Nnamdi Kanu Over Biafra, Condemns Arewa Quit Notice |RN

Edwin-Clark

Chief Edwin Clark

Elder statesman Edwin Clark on Tuesday condemned the Biafran agitation led by Nnamdi Kanu.

He also condemned the notice to quit by the Arewa youth group to Igbo in the North, saying it was worrisome.

The News Agency of Nigeria reported that Clark made this known when the Chairman, Senate Committee on Local and Foreign Debt, Senator Shehu Sani, paid him a courtesy visit in his Abuja residence on Monday.

He warned that secession or agitation was not the way to go on the restructuring of the country.

He said, “When Kanu talks about Biafra, he is talking nonsense. We do not want a second war. America fought their civil war for a long time and they are not thinking of a second one. Kanu should drop the agitation.

“At the same time, it is arrogant and foolish on the part of some northern youths to issue quit notice. You do not own the North. It is part of Nigeria and anybody can live there.

“The Igbo have been living in the North for over 100 years. I condemn all of them.”

The elder statesman, however, emphasised the need for restructuring for equity and balance in the country.

He explained that though the call for restructuring had been loud in recent times, the country had been undergoing restructuring.

“We have been living together since 1914 and from time to time, we have been changing the way of our lives. In 1947, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe said the Richard Constitution was obnoxious; that it was anti-people. In 1950, we had the Macpherson Constitution which created the three regions and in 1963, we had another constitution.

“During all these constitutions, the issue of the fiscal federation was very prominent. So, we have been restructuring this country and nobody talked about breaking up the country. The war between 1967 and 1970 was an unfortunate one.”

Clark said making necessary changes to allow for social justice was the way to go, urging the National  Assembly to re-visit the issue of devolution of power upon resumption from recess. This, he said, was one of the ways to properly restructure the country.

According to him, the vote against devolution of power by NASS is borne out of the fear that it will whittle down the power of the legislators.

He said, “We have reached a stage where states are not paying salaries and something has to be done to gear their minds to see what they can do in their own area to generate money. I am happy you believe in restructuring, which can be achieved within a short time but it may take up to 20 years if we do not agree among ourselves.

“So, once more I want to say that when you resume,  the issue of devolution of power should be re-visited so that the Federal Government will deal with foreign affairs,  prisons, customs and a few other things.”

On the call to return to regionalism, Clark said, “You cannot abolish the states now and say you want six regions. It is not going to be easy or possible now.

“I feel we should use the same states as federating units and the local governments should remain with the states.”

He called for the establishment of revenue mobilisation commission to deal with funds that move between states and local governments to sustain them.

Clark promised to convene a meeting of elder statesmen across the country to find a lasting solution to the problem of restructuring.

In his remarks, Sani said one of the reasons the devolution of power did not scale through in NASS was the fear that state governments might abuse their power.

He said, “The problem we have with the devolution of power is how to tackle some of the problems that come with it. For example, the present crop of governors might not be able to handle state police in a manner that people who disagree with them can be safe.

“Secondly, the manner in which elections are conducted by the state independent electoral commissions where the ruling party in a state wins all positions is worrisome.

“So, if we devolve the police, we have to allay the fears of people on the implications. Those who are championing some of these issues need to make clarifications.”

On derivation and resource control, the lawmaker said it was in the best interest of the country to stop thinking about oil because it was becoming non-attractive globally.

On the quit notice, Sani said: “it is embarrassing.”  (Punchng.com)

www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Obasanjo Inciting Nigerians Against Jonathan, Ijaw Leaders, Says Clark

Image result for Olusegun Obasanjo and Edwin Clark

Edwin Clark, Olusegun Obasanjo

Ovie Okpare, Warri

Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark, on Wednesday, knocked former President Olusegun Obasanjo for what he described as a deliberate attempt by the former President to incite Nigerians against Ijaw leaders including former President Goodluck Jonathan.

Clark, a former information minister, stated this on Wednesday in an open letter addressed to Obasanjo, over his remarks in the recently published book titled “Against the Run of Play” by Olusegun Adeniyi.

He said the former President’s narrations in Adeniyi’s new book were false and despicable especially as it concerns him and other Ijaw leaders.

“For instance, some of the statements you made against me in your book “Under My Watch” were the same statements you repeated in Olusegun Adeniyi’s book which is an arrangement between the two of you to condemn the Ijaw and to incite other Nigerian leaders to disparage the Ijaw leaders particularly myself and the younger ones like Asari Dokubo whom you kept in prison for two years without trial until we begged you to release him,” he stated.

He however challenged Obasanjo to tell Nigerians “… what do you really want from Jonathan and the Ijaw people? Most of the various issues you raised in collaboration with Olusegun Adeniyi’s book “Against the Run of Play” are mere re-visitation of the many things you did and failed to do in your eight years of mis-governance.”

Clark also refuted Obasanjo claims that Jonathan was clannish and surrounded himself with his Ijaw kinsmen.

This, he said, was one of the reasons he (Obasanjo) gave for not supporting Jonathan’s candidature in the 2015 Presidential Election.

The Ijaw leader, who is also the leader of the Pan Niger Delta Forum, accused Obasanjo of being responsible for the travails the nation was currently going through.

On Obasanjo’s alleged claim that Jonathan did not take the Boko Haram war seriously and was using the war to enrich some people, Clarke said that was not true.

Clark said, “Another criticism you made against Jonathan was Jonathan’s way of handling Boko Haram and that Jonathan was not interested in accountability and that if Jonathan was therefore allowed to continue in 2015 it would no doubt damage the whole country.

“And that Jonathan and his people turned Boko Haram into an industry for making money. I think this is very uncharitable…, you should name how Jonathan and his people turned Boko Haram into a money-making industry and who are his people that benefited from that industry?”                      (Punchng.com)

www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

PANDEF Condemns FG ‘Orchestrated’ Attacks On Jonathan |The Republican News

 Bolaji Ogundele, Warri

Image result for Goodluck Jonathan

Dr Goodluck Jonathan

The Pan-Niger Delta Forum (PANDEF) has condemned the alleged persecution and humiliation of former President Goodluck Jonathan and his family as well as the seeming silence of President Muhammadu Buhari on the development.

The forum issued a communiqué at the end of its meeting at Kiagbodo in Burutu Local Government Area of Delta State, the country home of Ijaw National Leader Chief Edwin Clark.

The communiqué was signed by Chief Clark as Convener/Leader with former Military Administrator of Akwa Ibom State, Air Commodore Idongesit Nkanga (retd), as the Acting Chairman of PANDEF’s Central Working Committee.

The body, which drew participants from various ethnic nationalities in the oil-rich Niger Delta region, expressed dissatisfaction over a recent statement credited to the Special Adviser on Media to the President, Femi Adesina.

The statement allegedly said the Presidency was still searching for credible representatives for the region.

PANDEF described the statement as insulting.

The forum, which expressed concern over the destruction of life and property in the South of Kaduna State, urged the government to take action to avert further bloodshed in the area.

It advised the Federal Government to release over N1 trillion owed the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

The communiqué reads: “The forum takes very strong exception to the statement credited to Special Adviser on Media to the President, Mr Femi Adesina, that the President was still in search of credible leaders of the Niger Delta, with whom to dialogue. This is an assault on the sensibilities and integrity of the people of the Niger Delta.

“PANDEF remains a united body of credible and patriotic leaders who have paid their dues in various walks of life and not a body of attention-seekers, as being bandied by the enemies of the Niger Delta.

“The forum condemns the destruction of life and property in Southern Kaduna and calls on the Federal Government to urgently ensure the safety of lives in the area.

“PANDEF expresses concerns about the orchestrated assault on the family of former President Jonathan, with the obvious intention to humiliate him and finds the silence of President Buhari worrisome.

“The forum also demands the urgent release of the over N1 trillion the Federal Government under-contribution to the funds of the Niger Delta Development Commission.” (The Nation)

www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading