Nkwubor community in Emene in Enugu East LGA of Enugu state was thrown into state anger and quesions as body of unidentified dead woman was discovered floating on Nkwubor river.
Just less than 48hrs after the body of a woman in her early 60s was discovered in her farm in Nchatacha, who was identified as Mrs Regina Mba also in Emene.
It was gathered that the river in which the corpse was discovered is one of the major source of water for the residents of Nkwubor as there’s no supply of portable water in this suburb of the state capital.
The floating corpse was discovered by the residents of the area that came to fetch water from the river on Saturday. They quickly alerted Emene police command.
The police command spokesman, SP Ebere Amaraizu who spoke to our correspondent confirmed the incident saying “the deceased was a young woman and the command has commenced a full investigation to ascertain the identity of the lady and what led to her death.
According to him, “the death could be as a result of flooding as this is the rainy season and there was no report of violence In the area but the command is working very hard to establish the cause of her death and identity.”
Subscribe to The Republican News. Advertise with us. Call us for press release, enquiries. Email: RepublicanNewsNetwork1@gmail.com, phone: +32497220468, +23481819650279, +32466100102.
There was a tragedy in Imo State on Monday as no fewer than ten traditional wedding guests died of fume from a generator and twenty others hospitalised. The incident happened at Umuomumu Mbieri in the Mbaitoli Local Government Area of the state.
A source told our correspondent that the wedding guests from Anambra State decided to pass the night at their in-law’s house after the ceremony. It was the fume from the generator which ran through the night until morning that killed them, our correspondent was told.
The State Commissioner of Police, Rabiu Ladodo, who confirmed the development to our correspondent said,
“the generator was on in the kitchen while the doors and widows of the rooms the guests slept were locked.”
“It is a case of sudden and natural death but we have commenced an investigation. Assistance is being rendered to the survivors.”
The victims and survivors were taken to Ikeduru General Hospital. Our correspondent was not allowed to speak to the hospital management.
Subscribe to The Republican News. Advertise with us. Call us for press release, enquiries. Email: RepublicanNewsNetwork1@gmail.com, phone: +2348189650279, +32497220468, +32466100102.
A 200 level Student of the Department of Marketing, University of Jos, Plateau State capital,Miss Mercy Na’an has beenfound dead in the hostel.
Her corpse was recovered by the police at Room 23, Zion Hostel, Naraguta area of the university.
This followed studentsalarm over an unusual odour emanating from the room.
Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Matthias Terna Tyopev,confirmed the incident yesterday,.
He said the student was confirmed dead at the university’s clinic by doctorswhobattleed to save her life.
Tyopev added that the corpse had been deposited at the Anatomy Mortuary of the university for autopsy.
“On 05/05/019 at about 1530hrs, the Angwan Rogo Police Division, Plateau State Command, Jos received a distress call from the Security Department, University of Jos to the effect that on same date at about 15OOhrs, some students of the institution raised alarm over an unusual odour coming out from room number 23 Zion Hostel in Naraguta,
He added: ‘“After the report, a combine team comprisingthe Police, the university security and the medical personnel of the university mobilised to the scene of crime.
“On arrival, the suspected hostel door was forced open and the motionless body of one Mercy Naan ‘f’ a 23 years old 200 level student from the Department of Marketing was seen and recovered to the university clinic.
“She was later confirmed dead by the medical doctor on duty at the university clinic and her corpse has been deposited at the Anatomy Mortuary of the same University for Autopsy.” (The Sun)
Subscribe the The Republican News. Advertise with us. Call us for press release, enquiries. Email: RepublicanNewsNetwork1@gmail.com, phone: +32466100102, +2348189650279, +32466100102.
Sri Lanka’s capital Colombo has been hit by at least two new blasts, hours after the country
was struck by a series of six bombings on churches and hotels that killed at least 156 people
and wounded about 400.
The seventh explosion occurred at a hotel near the national zoo in the capital, killing at least two more people, police said, while an eighth blast hit the suburb of Orugodawatta in the north of Colombo.
There were no further details on what was targeted, police said.
Most of the victims were killed in three churches where worshippers were attending Easter Sunday services. Three other bombings struck luxury hotels – the Cinnamon Grand, Kingsbury and Shangri-La – located in the heart of Colombo, killing at least 35 foreigners.
The first explosion was reported in a church located in the capital. The other blasts followed within half an hour.
One of the churches targeted was St Anthony’s Shrine in Colombo. The other two were St
Sebastian’s in Negombo, about 30km from the capital and another in Batticaloa, 250km east
of the capital.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe will hold an emergency meeting with the country’s top military officials of the National Security Council. He has also called for an emergency convening of the nation’s parliament on Monday.
St Anthony’s Shrine after an explosion hit the site in Kochchikade, Colombo [Chamila Karunarathne/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images]
Several people were killed as worshippers attended Easter service [Chamila Karunarathne/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images]
Police spokesperson Ruwan Gunasekera said the injured were being evacuated while security
forces have cordoned off the areas and search operations are under way.
Photos circulating on social media showed the roof of one church had been blown almost entirely off in the blast.
World leaders condemn Easter Sunday bombings in Sri Lanka
The floor was littered with a mixture of roof tiles, splintered wood and blood.
Several people could be seen covered in blood, some trying to help those with more serious
There were no immediate claims of responsibility.
The Sri Lankan government has declared a nationwide curfew with immediate effect, junior
defence minister Ruwan Wijewardene said.
“A curfew will be imposed until things settle down,” he told reporters in Colombo.
Government officials also said major social media networks and messaging apps, including
Facebook and WhatsApp, have been blocked inside the country to prevent misinformation and
“The government has decided to block all social media platforms in order to prevent incorrect
and wrong information being spread. This is only a temporary measure” Udaya R Seneviratne,
secretary to the president, said in a statement.
Al Jazeera’s Minelle Fernandez, reporting from Colombo, said the crisis was still unfolding.
“We’re hearing that Colombo national hospital is still receiving casualties brought in from the multiple locations.
In Pictures: Sri Lanka Easter Sunday bombings
“In terms of law enforcement, we’ve been hearing that all festivities have been canceled, that
security in and around the city has been tightened,” Fernandez reported.
“It’s still very open-ended … it’s too early [to speculate who is behind the attack] but security
in the capital and the airport has been stepped up following the attacks,” she added.
Rajiva Wijesinha, a former member of the Sri Lankan parliament, told Al Jazeera the
coordinated nature of the attacks has shocked the country.
“It’s actually extremely chilling. We’ve never had anything of this sort before. Sri Lanka had a
terrible time under Tamil Tiger terrorism for about 25 years and then there was a great sense of relief, which I am afraid the West has been fighting with us about, when we got rid of the tiger terrorists,” Rajiva said.
“But the tiger terrorists were never as well organised never and never quite as brilliant in synchronisation and this is obviously something on a much larger scale which is frankly quite terrifying and you know the reactions I’ve heard suggest people are moving into panic mode again,” he said.
“And that is understandable because of the range of these attacks and the concentration on the Christian churches and then the hotels as well suggest we are dealing with something really quite horrible,” Rajiva added.
Speaking to Al Jazeera from Colombo, Ashwin Hemmathagama, a reporter with the Daily FT,
said the attacks were a blow to the country’s tourism sector.
“At the moment, police have cordoned off the areas and cautioned the public to remain vigilant. They have asked the public to stay indoors and avoid hasty decisions because investigations are under way.”
“After the civil war ended, almost a decade ago, the tourism industry was picking up.
Basically, everything was back to its current perspective, but unfortunately this kind of attack
will definitely cripple the tourism sector.”
Subscribe to The Republican News. Advertise with us. Call us for press release, enquiries. Email: RepublicanNewsNetwork1@gmail.com, phone: +2348189650279, +32497220468, +32466100102
An Anambra State High Court sitting in Awka has discharge and acquitted the suspects in the killing of 13 worshipers at St. Philips Catholic Church, Ozubulu, in Ekwusigo Local Government Area of the state.
The mass killing happened on August 6, 2017.
In a three-hour judgement, Justice Fidelis Aniukwu said the prosecution counsel was unable to prove beyond reasonable doubt the culpability of the defendants, Chinedu Akpunonu and Onyebuchi Mbanefo, concerning the crime.
The court had, in December 2018, discharged two out of the four suspects arraigned before it on the matter.
Justice Aniukwu said the prosecution witnesses could not “provide any evidence linking the defendants to the murder as alleged.”
Reacting, the defence counsel, Mr. Festus Kayemo, SAN, described the judgement as “a landmark” in view of the accelerated hearing accorded to it.
Keyamo said, “It’s the prosecution’s right to appeal the judgement. But from what I witnessed in the court today, it will be very difficult for the appeal court to upturn the judgement.”
Speaking to newsmen, one of the freed suspects, Chinedu Akpunonu, who was full of gratitude, thanked God for vindicating him from what he called “an attempt by some persons to smear” his reputation.
He said he had forgiven his traducers, urging them to join hands to ensure that peace returns to the Ozubulu community.
He said, “From the beginning, I told my people that I was not involved in the killing. But the Lord has given me victory as a proof that I’m very innocent.
“I didn’t know I was very important to my people until I saw excitement in the faces of the crowd that came to court. I’ve already forgiven all the hands that put me in prison.
“I thank those that stood by me throughout my travail. I also thank my lawyer and the judge for delivering a fair and sound judgement.”
The prosecution counsel, Mr. Jay Jay Ezeuko, SAN, in his reaction said he would determine the next step after he might have received a copy of the judgement.
Subscribe to The Republican News. Advertise with us. Call us for press release, enquiries. Email: RepublicanNewsNetwork1@gmail.com, phone: +32497220468, +2348189650279, +32466100102
The Rapid Response Squad has released the photograph of Inspector Dania Ojo, said to be one of the six policemen who allegedly shot dead a 20-year-old girl, Ada Ifeanyi.
A man who was with her, 32-year-old Emmanuel Akomafuwa, was said to have sustained life-threatening injuries as a result of the shooting that killed the 20-year-old girl, and is currently being treated at an undisclosed hospital in Lagos.
While five policemen have been arrested in connection with the Saturday morning incident, the sixth suspect, Inspector Dania Ojo, is said to be at large, having reportedly vanished from the scene immediately after the gruesome killing.
The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Bala Elkana, had revealed the names of fleeing Inspector Dania Ojo’s accomplices as: Inspector Adamu Usman, Sergeant Adeyeye Adeoye, Sergeant Kashim Tijani, Sergeant Lucky Akigbe and Sergeant Paul Adeoye, all of Trinity Police Station in Ajegunle area of Lagos State.
Inspector Dania Ojo’s identity was unveiled via the RRS Twitter handle @rrslagos767, on Sunday.
See the photograph of Inspector Dania Ojo’s accomplices:
The State House of Assembly has passed a bill for a law to control burial and funeral ceremonial activities in Anambra State.
The bill which is sponsored by Honourable Charles Ezeani, representing Anaocha Two Constitiency was passed during yesterday’s plenary after it was considered at the committee of the whole.
The Anambra State Burial and Funeral Ceremonial Activities Bill is aimed at cutting down the cost of burial activities in the state.
The bill provides that in the event of death, no person shall deposit any corps at the mortuary or any other place beyond two months from the date of demise, while burial ceremonies in the state shall be for one day.
It further stipulates that during burial and funeral ceremonial activities, the family of the deceased shall provide food for their kindred, relatives and other sympathizers at their own discretion.
The bill places ban on destruction of property, gun shots, praise singing, blocking of roads and streets during burial ceremony in the state as defaulters shall be punished according to the law.
It made it clear that from the commencement of the law, no person shall subject any relation of the deceased person to a mourning period of more than one week from the date of burial ceremony.
Speaking on the Bill, the sponsor, Honourable Ezeani revealed that the Bill also put in place a monitoring and implementation committee that will enforce the law as well as their responsibilities.
On his part, the Deputy Speaker, Sir Hafford Oseke described the bill as à welcome development as it has put to rest high cost of burial and ceremonial activities in the state.
Speaker of the House, Mrs. Rita Maduagwu commended the lawmakers for passing a bill that will arrest unnecessary burial expenses in Anambra State.
Subscribe to The Republican News. Call us for press release, enquiries. Email: RepublicanNewsNetwork1@gmail.com, phone: +32497220468, +2348189650279, +32466100102
A man identified as Mr Monday Alli Onaivi is on the run after allegedly burning his wife to death over an argument about providing feeding money in Benin city, Edo state.
According to Ejiroghene Ezaga who shared the sad story, the man set his wife ablaze after she requested for feeding money. She was later pronounced dead in the hospital due to the severe burns she suffered from the attack.
Sharing photos of Monday Alli Onaivi, Ejiroghene Ezaga wrote on Facebook;
“THIS IS THE PHOTO OF MR MONDAY ALLI ONAIVI, THE MAN WHO 2 WEEKS AGO IN BENIN CITY SET HIS 33-YEAR-OLD WIFE, ESTHER ALLI, ABLAZE OVER HIS ALLEGED REFUSAL TO GIVE HER FEEDING MONEY. SHE LATER DIED IN THE HOSPITAL OF SEVERE BURNS. SHE LEFT BEHIND 2 LOVELY GIRLS AND A BOY. AIDED BY HIS MOTHER, HE’S PRESENTLY ON THE RUN. PLEASE SHARE UNTIL JUSTICE CATCHES UP WITH HIM”
Ejiroghene Ezaga also went on to share images of the victim, Esther Alli and her three children.
PICTURES OF LATE MRS ESTHER ALLI, THE 33-YEAR-OLD HOUSEWIFE SET ABLAZE IN BENIN CITY 2 WEEKS AGO BY HER HUSBAND, MR MONDAY ALLI ONAIVI, AND THE LOVELY KIDS SHE LEFT BEHIND. THE HUSBAND IS STILL AT LARGE.
Subscribe to The Republican News. Advertise with us. Call us for press release, enquiries at +32497220468, +2348189650279, +32466100102
An American Surgeon based in Lagos Nigeria has taken to her heels after killing a Nigeria Beauty Queen in a failed fat transfer surgery for buttocks and hips enlargement. The Face of Democracy Transformation 2013 Winner Onwuzuligbo Nneka Miriam has died on February 3rd after a 31days coma from December 30th when the surgical operation has proceeded.
According to investigations by ATTENTION MAGAZINE, The American uncertified Surgeon, Dr. Anu proceeded on the fat transfer surgery at her Med Contour Cosmetic Surgery after having several cases and records of surgery failures and complications. In fact, recently two top Lagos Big Babes have been victims of her misplaced professional ethics and operations, which led to an improper shift of their buttocks during the surgeries conducted by Dr. Anu.
The surgery went soar, when fats that where meant to be transferred to her hips got into her lungs and caused her to drift into coma, even after she was immediately rushed to Vedic Hospital in Lekki, where she was placed on life support, before she was transferred to Lagos University Teaching Hospital, which was where she died 32 days after while in coma.
The organizer of Face of Democracy Nigeria Pageant, Alexander Ajagbonno has expressed regrets and bitterness over the loss of Queen Miriam Onwuzuligbo, who was the 2nd runner-up in the 2013 edition of Face of Democracy Nigeria, an outcome which the deceased refused to accept claiming that she merited the 1st crown.
She dragged the organizers to court for legal interventions until last year when the case was finally dismissed. The death of Queen Miriam may be disheartening, but also a lesson to other young ladies, who would not carry out critical research in a particular clinic before engaging them in such sensitive services.
The American citizen, Dr. Anu has had several professional scandals, ranging from poorly conducted surgeries to complications as a medical practitioner.
However, since the last failed surgery on Queen Nneka, she halted all activities on social media including her 43k followers Instagram handle @med_contour, where she used to post frequently. Research shows that she may be in hiding.
Subscribe to The Republican News. Advertise with us. Call us for press release, enquiries. Email editor @alexikeoffor, call us at +2348189650279, +32466100102, +32497220468