Image

Fulani Herdsmen Behead Adamawa PDP Chairman, Flee With His Head |RN

                                          The widow, Mrs Chrisanthus

Hindi Livinus, Yola

 

Suspected Fulani herdsmen have beheaded the Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party in  Bare ward in the Numan Local Government Area, Adamawa State, Charles Chrisanthus,

The politician was reportedly killed in the presence of his wife, Dorcas, in his farm on August 29, 2018.

The widow of the slain PDP chieftain is, however, accusing the police of shielding the killers of her husband.

Speaking in an interview with our correspondent at the State Criminal Investigation Department where she had gone to lodge her complaint on Tuesday, Dorcas told Northern City News that only justice for her slain husband would bring her peace.

She said she was holding her four-month old son and watched helplessly as the assailants hacked her husband to death.

“His attackers led by our Fulani neighbours repeatedly stabbed him on the back and on his stomach before beheading my husband in our farm and made away with his head,” she said.

Claiming to have made some arrests, the police had invited the widow of the slain ward chairman and three other female witnesses to the state Criminal Investigation Department for their statements.

It was at the CID that the families of the deceased were alerted to the whereabouts of the suspected killers.

The bereaved families, it was learnt, discovered that some of the suspects arrested in connection with the killing were receiving medical attention at an undisclosed hospital.

Dorcas said she could identify her husband’s killers, insisting that the police were shielding them from answering for their crime.

“The police under the guise of allowing the suspects to seek medical attention are shielding those that killed my husband. The only thing I want is justice,” she stated.

A PDP youth leader in Bare ward, Tekas Adiel, explained that the police earlier claimed that the Fulanis who perpetrated the killings had fled the community, insisting that the same assailants carried out another attack on Tuesday.

But the Police Public Relations officer in the state, Musa Habibu, insisted that some of the alleged perpetrators of the crime were in custody, adding that investigation into the incident was ongoing.

Asked about the suspects allegedly receiving medical attention in a hospital, the spokesman simply retorted, “A suspect has a right to medical attention if he is sick.”

He added, “Some arrests have been made and those arrested are in police custody. I have had consultations with the assistant commissioner of police handling the issue who said arrest had been made.”

“But if they said one of those arrested is receiving medical attention, a suspect has a right to medication if he’s truly sick, it could be but I don’t have that information,” Habibu said.  (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Advertisements
Image

Gunmen Shoot Pastor In Front Of His Church In Anambra |The Republican News

                                        Scene of the attack: Victim being helped into the car

Tony Okafor,  Awka

 

Gunmen on Thursday attacked Grace and Power Prophetic Ministry, Awka, Anambra State, and shot its pastor.

The condition of the pastor, whose name was given as Elijah, could not be ascertain as of press time as he was rushed to an undisclosed place by his church members who had gathered for their Thursday worship.

The incident reportedly occurred a few metres from the B Division of the Anambra State Police Command in the Anambra State Secretariat area of Awka, the state capital.

The middle-aged pastor, popularly called Miracle Pastor, was said to have had his legs hit by bullets.

It was gathered that the gunmen had trailed the pastor from Enugu State.

A source told our correspondent that the assailants had demanded N5m from the victim for an undisclosed purpose but were offered N1m by the pastor, which they allegedly rejected.

“As soon as they got to his church, they opened fire on the pastor. They snatched some undisclosed amount of money from him, leaving him unconscious. His vehicle was riddled with bullets,” he added.

When our correspondent visited the church, parishioners and sympathisers were seen discussing the incident.

A resident, who gave his name as Johnson, said he was passing by when he saw some persons pulling out a man from a shattered vehicle.

He said, “When I enquired, I was told that he was the pastor of the church. Who knows what he must have done to attract this kind of treatment to himself?”

When contacted, the Police Public Officer in the state, Haruna Mohammed, said he would get back to our correspondent.

He had yet to do so as of the time of filing this story.  (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Police Interrogate Fani-Kayode Over Anti-Fulani Herdsmen Article |The Republican News

Femi-Fani-Kayode
                                                         Femi Fani-Kayode

Eniola Akinkuotu, Abuja

 

The Nigeria Police Force on Tuesday grilled a former Minister of Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, over a three-part essay titled, ‘Five Useful Idiots and the Spirit of the Accursed Slave’.

Fani-Kayode, it was learnt, was grilled for about an hour and then asked to return on another day for more interrogation.

Confirming his interrogation to our correspondent on the telephone, the former minister said the quizzing was cordial.

Fani-Kayode, however, said he would continue to write more of such articles.

He said, “I had a cordial interview with the policemen. The police were courteous and professional.

“I was invited because of my essay titled “Five Useful Idiots and the Spirit Of the Accursed Slave” which was about Fulani hegemony and terrorism together with other write-ups.  No regrets. I will hit harder and write more.”

In the essay which was published in March, the former minister lambasted the Governor of Plateau State, Solomon Lalong, for blaming the herdsmen attacks on Governor Samuel Ortom’s refusal to scrap the anti-grazing law.

Fani-Kayode also lambasted the Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello, for describing the herdsmen attacks in Kogi State as a family affair among Kogi indigenes.

He also knocked a former Minister of Information and current chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, Prince Tony Momoh, for saying the Fulani herdsmen were victims of tribal politics.

The former minister said in the article that the herdsmen attacks were part of a larger scheme to dominate and recolonise Nigeria.  (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

‘Madwoman’ Says Sex Partner’s human Parts Found With Her |The Republican News

                              Folake Falade and alleged lover

Samson Folarin

 

A woman alleged to be mentally deranged, Folake Falade, has denied knowing anything about human parts found in her possession in Aiyetoro, Cele-Nizer, on the Lagos-Badagry Expressway.

The 40-year-old said the body parts found with her on Monday, August 27, belonged to men who usually had sex with her in a tunnel where she lived.

There had been turmoil in the community after some residents allegedly spotted the suspect, who was widely believed to be mad, making telephone calls.

A mob was said to have gathered and would have lynched her but for the intervention of some officials of the Lagos State Neighbourhood Safety Corps and policemen from the Ijanikin division.

The police were said to have recovered a skull, some decomposing human parts, photos, foot wares, among others, from the tunnel.

The case was subsequently transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba.

Falade, who claimed to be from Abeokuta, Ogun State, said the body parts belonged to men who had sex with her after paying her between N200 and N300.

She said, “I was married to an Egun man who abandoned me. My only surviving child, Abiodun Jeriat, is with my husband. I had five other children, but they all died. I have been living in the place for about two months after I could not find my house at Mosafejo Ilogbo, Ogun State.

“On the day I was caught, I was sitting when a man came to offer me a gin. The second person came and asked if I had a mobile phone and I said no. Not long after, I saw some people with canes and they started beating me up. They also removed all the things I used to cover myself whenever it rained. They asked me if I took gin and I said once in a while.

“They asked where I used to get money to buy it and I told them that some men had been having sex with me and they gave me money – N200 or N300.”

A source said the suspect claimed that one of the photos was that of her child, who she did not know his whereabouts.

She was arraigned before an Ebute-Meta Chief Magistrate’s Court on two counts bordering on possession of human parts.

The charges read, “That you, Folake Falade, and others at large, on August 27, 2018, around 7am, at Aiyetoro, Cele-nizer, on the Lagos- Badagry Expressway, in the Lagos Magisterial District, did conspire among yourselves to commit felony, to wit: unlawful possession of human parts.

“That you, Folake Falade, and others at large, on the same date, time and place, in the aforementioned magisterial district, did unlawfully have in your possession severed human parts, charms and a picture of a boy, a supposed victim…”

The police prosecutor, Inspector Adedayo Oladele, said the offences were punishable under sections 411 and 238 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, Nigeria, 2015.

Falade pleaded guilty to the charges.

Madwoman-with-human-parts

At the resumption of the case for facts and sentence on Tuesday, the police prosecutor, Oladele, said forensic experts had visited the scene of the crime.

“The defendant was asked what happened at the scene. She said one of the men sleeping with her owned the human parts. She was asked to produce the men, but she could not,” he added.

There was a mild drama when the prosecutor asked the Investigating Police Officer from the SCIID to bring out exhibits recovered by the police from the scene.

The odour of the suspected decomposing human bodies filled the courtroom and the Chief Magistrate, O.O. Olatunji, ordered they be taken outside the court for inspection.

A court orderly and a friend of the court, who were appointed by the chief magistrate for the inspection, later returned to confirm the prosecutor’s evidence.

As Olatunji made to deliver his sentence, the suspect changed her plea.

“I was not found with any human skull and flesh. What they found on me was ponmo (cowhide), which I was cutting; I don’t know anything about human skull and flesh; they were found far from where I was. Some people beat me up, saying I had a phone, which I denied. It was ponmo they found on me,” she said in Yoruba.

Olatunji said since the defendant had changed her plea, she would be admitted to bail.

She was subsequently granted bail in the sum of N200,000 with two sureties in like sum as the chief magistrate ordered that the case file be duplicated for legal advice from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions.

The case was adjourned till September 26, 2018.  (Punch)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

BREAKING: Osinbajo Orders Immediate Overhaul Of SARS |RN


Acting President Yemi Osinbajo has ordered an immediate re-organisation of the police’s Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

The Acting President gave the order following persistent complaints and reports on the activities of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS)

The allegations border on human rights violations.

Osinbajo ordered the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to, with immediate effect, overhaul the management and activities of SARS.

The IGP, according to a statement by Mr Laolu Akande, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Publicity, Office of the Acting President, would ensure that any Unit that will emerge from the process, will be intelligence-driven.

Such unit, he said, should be restricted to the prevention and detection of armed robbery and kidnapping, and apprehension of offenders linked to the stated offences, and nothing more.

The Acting President has also directed the IGP to ensure that all operatives in the emerging Unit conduct their operations in strict adherence to the rule of law and with due regard to International Human Rights Law and the constitutionally guaranteed rights of suspects.

The operatives should also bear proper identification anytime they are on duty.

Meanwhile, the Acting President has directed the National Human Rights Commission to set up a Special Panel that will conduct an investigation of the alleged unlawful activities of SARS in order to afford members of the general public the opportunity to present their grievances with a view to ensuring redress.

(NAN)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Police Parade Commander, 21 Others Involved In Chibok Girls’ Kidnap |RN

BOKO HARAM COMMANDER

 

Christopher Oji and Timothy Olarewaju, Maiduguri

Boko Haram terrorist commander who spearheaded the kidnap of over 200 secondary schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State, in 2014 and 21 other members of the group have been arrested.

He was also responsible for over 50 suicide bombings within Maiduguri, Borno State, and Adamawa State, and the invasion of Bama and Gwoza.

His gang was also responsible for several attacks, ambush and killing of thousands of Nigerians, including security agents and civilians, in Borno and other North-East states of Nigeria.

BOKO-HARM-KIDNAPPERS

 

Recovered from the suspects were 11 AK-47 rifles and other weapons.

A senior police officer said, irked by the persistent suicide bombings and killing of residents in the North East by terrorist i recent times, Inspector-General of Police Ibrahim Idris equipped and deployed special operatives of the IGP Intelligence Response Team (IRT) led by DCP Abba Kyari with enough technical intelligence to Maiduguri to trace and arrest the terrorists responsible for suicide bombings and other terrorist attacks in the North East.

The force public relations officer, Moshood Jimoh, said: “After a lot of planning and use of advanced technology, between July 4 and 9, IRT special teams, with support from SARS/CRACK teams of Borno State Command, swung into action and eventually succeeded in arresting 22 confirmed Boko Haram terrorists (BHT) who confessed to several suicide bomb explosions within Borno and Adamawa states, kidnapping of the Chibok schoolgirl, and invasion of Bama and Gwoza, among many other crimes. The suspects narrated various roles each of them played. Among them are the commanders and coordinators of suicide bombings in Borno State, Coordinator and members of the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping, ambushes on security agents, logistics suppliers and their receivers of gold, international currencies, cows, etc.

 

“The suspects are Modu, aka Abor, who confessed to being one of the Boko Haram commanders who coordinated and led the kidnapping of the Chibok schoolgirls in 2014 and several attacks on Bama, Gwoza and Mubi towns in Borno and Adamawa states; Mohammed, who confessed to have participated in the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping and coordinating suicide bombings; Jidda, who confessed to have participated in the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping and coordinating suicide bombings; Wardi, who also confessed to participating in the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping and coordinating suicide bombings; Alhaji Jidda, who confessed to have participated in the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping and coordinating suicide bombings and others.

“Ajiri Bu confessed to having participated in the Chibok schoolgirls’ kidnapping and arranging suicide bombings, and others who played one role or the other.

“The suspects have confessed to be masterminds of several attacks and suicide bomb blasts in Baga Road, 3-3, Custom, Bulunkutu, Post Office, Muna, Kasuwan Shanu, Dalori IDP camp, etc, in Maiduguri and many suicide attacks in Adamawa State, killing of thousands of innocent Nigerians, including ambush on security agents and civilians in the many parts of northeast Nigeria.

Eleven rifles and many other weapons and exhibits were recovered from the deadly terrorist group.”

Moshood said the suspects were helping the authorities with useful information to arrest other fleeing Boko Haram commanders.  (The Sun)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

I Slept With My Girlfriend’s Corpse For 6 Days, Says Suspected Killer Of Ex-Deputy Gov’s Daughter

Adeyemi Alao MURDER SUSPECT - SLEPT WITH VICTIM'S CORPSE

Bamigbola Gbolagunte, Akure

Suspected killer of Khadijat Adenike, daughter of former deputy governor of Ondo State, Alhaji Lasisi Oluboyo, Adeyemi Alao, has confessed that he slept with the corpse of khadijat for six days in his room.

Alao, who claimed to be Khadijat’s boyfriend of over five years, said he had no intention of killing his late girlfriend when he invited her to his residence at Oke-Aro area of Akure until he met her making love with another person in his room.

The suspected killer, who was paraded yesterday at the state police headquarters in Akure, confessed that he dug a grave inside his room in an attempt to bury Khadijat before he was arrested by the police.
Alao was arrested on Sunday, following the discovery of the corpse of Khadijat, a final year student of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, in his house by the police.

The deceased had earlier been declared missing by her parent when she could not be found by her friends in school and the parent, also, could not find her at home.

The suspect, while being interrogated, confirmed the killing of the deceased, but denied responsibility for her death, saying he met her dead inside his room.

He said the late Khadijat was notorious for sex and could have sexual intercourse with any individual not minding the status or age of the fellow.

“She called me that she was in Lagos and I asked what she was doing in Lagos.  She said she was there to perfect the project she was writing. She told me she would come to visit me after leaving Lagos and she came, but, the following day she went out and returned with two boys who she claimed were his brothers.

“I went out one day and when I returned, I saw one of the boys she called her friend making love with her. I was furious and I beat her to a pulp. The boy escaped because he threatened to shoot me with a gun in his hand,” he added.

Alao, who denied rumours that he killed Khadijat for ritual purpose, confessed that he made arrangements to bury her inside the room, having dug a grave but was eventually caught.

Commissioner of Police, Mr Gbenga Adeyanju, said the suspected killer would face the full wrath of the law.

He said the suspect will soon be prosecuted and added that the accomplices of Alao would be arrested and also prosecuted.  (The Sun)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading