Image

Western Diplomats Warn Of Coronavirus Explosion In Nigeria, Condemn How Buhari’s Government Has Handled Outbreak

Some Western diplomats on Friday warned that with the current and abysmal way the Nigerian Government was handling the Coronavirus outbreak, the number of infections could witness a significant rise in the coming weeks.

Already, Nigeria has 81 confirmed cases and one recorded death of the pandemic.

According to the diplomatic community, infections could rise to more than 10,000 in the coming weeks as there are at least 5,000 persons, who had come in contact with infected persons in Nigeria already.

This category of persons, it was gathered, had gone ahead to mingle with thousands of others in the society without realising that they had the virus.

“This is the real danger. A lot of people who have had contacts with original carriers of the virus don’t even know they have the ailment and have in fact gone ahead to mingle with hundreds and thousands of others in the society, spreading the virus further.

“From information we have in the diplomatic community, there could be an explosion of confirmed infections in the coming weeks. It is going to disrupt a lot of things,” a senior diplomat attached to one European high commission in Nigeria told SaharaReporters on Friday.

Echoing the same sentiment, another diplomat, whose country has provided technical support to African nations battling the spread of the virus, said the situation in Nigeria was dire because the number of untested infections far outweighed those examined by government agencies.

So far, only around 200 persons have been tested for Coronavirus in Nigeria due to the unavailability of testing kits.

Though Chinese billionaire, Jack Ma, has donated testing kits and protective items to Nigeria and other African countries to help combat the virus, hundreds of potentially infected persons are yet to be examined in Nigeria, increasing the risk of an epidemic in the West African state.

“We could be having tens of thousands of confirmed cases across Nigeria in a few days from now.

“There are thousands of people with the virus already on the loose in the country and many of this people cannot be traced. They have taken this pandemic into every nook and cranny of this country.

“I think Nigeria must act fast to avert a full-blown war,” the diplomat said on Friday, adding that Western countries will continue to provide technical support to help Africa and the rest of the world conquer the virus.

Already, there have been reported cases of people being asked to self-isolate after reporting to health agencies of having symptoms of the virus.

Without proper monitoring and stringent measures to ensure such persons do not expose others to infection in case they have the virus, thousands of individuals in this category have gone on with their daily activities and opened up the chance of an epidemic in the country.

Unwilling to take chances, some Western countries are already evacuating their citizens from Nigeria and other African countries.

For example, an Air France flight on Thursday moved 260 Europeans from Nigeria to France to prevent them from being infected with the virus.

This came after the Nigerian Government granted a one-week permission to Air France and KLM to evacuate Europeans from the country following the continued spread of the pandemic.

Also on Thursday, British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Ms. Catriona Laing CB, said the mission was exploring available options to send staff and their families back to the United Kingdom.

This was occasioned by projections by experts and top diplomats that the Coronavirus pandemic could explode in Nigeria and other African countries in the coming days.

But according to the World Health Organisation, Nigeria and other African countries battling the virus must conduct more tests to portray the true picture of things and avert a major crisis.

Gentlemen, PLEASE STAY HOME!!!!

Continue reading
Advertisements
Image

BREAKING NEWS: Lagos State Markets To Shut Down On Friday Over Coronavirus|The Republican News

Lagos Market

Lagos markets, offices, showrooms, and warehouses operating under the umbrella of Market Leaders and Traders Association of Nigeria, Lagos Chapter, will shut down, on Friday, over the raging coronavirus epidemic.

In a statement issued this morning and signed by Comrade Christopher Okpala and Comrade Okey Enwuru, president and secretary respectively, the shutdown will run from March 27 to April 4 in the entire city of Lagos.

Residents and members were asked to use the grace windows between today (Tuesday) and Thursday, to stock their homes of foodstuff in Lagos.

Continue reading
Image

BREAKING: Abba Kyari, Buhari’s Chief of Staff, Reportedly Sick, Suspected Of Contracting Coronavirus

President Buhari and his Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari

A top government source told SaharaReporters on Monday that Kyari has been seriously “down” since returning from a trip abroad.

Abba Kyari, Chief of Staff to Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari, is said to be seriously ill and in fact suspected of being infected with Coronavirus.

A top government source told SaharaReporters on Monday that Kyari has been seriously “down” since returning from a trip abroad.

Kyari visited Germany and Egypt and only returned this week, giving credence to the fact that he may have indeed been infected with the virus.

Egypt has 327 confirmed cases of Coronavirus and 14 deaths while Germany has 29,056 infections and 123 deaths.

Though coughing severely, Kyari is said to have been attending meetings including with Buhari, Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, ministers and other members of the Federal Executive Council.

Executive Chairman of Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, Prof James Momoh, was said to have accompanied Kyari on the trip to both countries.

The latest development comes hours after a leaked memo showed Kyari telling Nigerian legislators, who recently returned from foreign trips, to submit themselves for Coronavirus test.

It also comes after Aisha Buhari, wife of Nigeria’s President, disclosed that one of her daughters was in self-isolation after returning from the United Kingdom, one of the high risk countries for the virus.

On Monday, Nigeria confirmed its first Coronavirus death after a former Managing Director of Pipelines and Products Marketing Company, a subsidiary of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Suleiman Achimugu, succumbed to the virus in Abuja.

Earlier, the Nigerian Center for Disease Control announced a total of 36 confirmed cases but with Kyari’s suspected infection, that figure may have now risen to 37. (SaharaReporters)

Continue reading
Image

BREAKING: COVID–19: Atiku’s Son Tests Positive, Infects Bauchi Governor, Bala Mohammed, His Entire Estate In Abuja

Former Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar

The worst case of corona virus may have landed in the hands of Nigerian health officials as the son of former Vice president, Atiku Abubakar, Mohammed infects many at once.

The son of Atiku just returned from the USA and had suspiciously a high temperature but took no precautions to self-isolate or go in for a test.

He rather proceeded to his house in an estate in Abuja, where he with his children and wife had contacts with several kids and members of the estate.

He refused to go in for a test and kept on having contacts with as many people as possible in and around his estate in Abuja.

His sister got worried and called NCDC personnel and they came and tested him and he was pronounced positive by the officers of the NCDC.

This made the NCDC to ask every residents in the entire estate to self-isolate in their respective homes as this could prevent a widespread of this virus. Right now, families with their children are in panic and wailing.

A source who spoke to The Republican News confirmed that the entire families in the estate have been quarantined in their homes to stop further spread until they are all tested and isolated for a given period of time.

Meanwhile, the state governor of Bauchi has made public the fact that he met the son of Atiku, Mohammed Atiku Abubakar in the same flight from the United States and they mingled with the rest of the passengers. Gov. Bala Mohammed confirmed that he has gone for screening to ascertain if he is positive or without the COVID-19.

In a press release by Bauchi state government, it is confirmed that the governor had contact with the son of Atiku, who tested positive, so, the governor has gone into self-isolation. Though, he has been tested, it is not clear yet what his status is.

Bauchi state governor, Alhaji Bala Mohammed

The former Vice president, Atiku Abubakar in a tweet confirmed that his son tested positive for corona virus and has been taken in for treatment.

The right thing to do now is to get all his family members and the entire residents of his estate and all those in the same flight he flew from the USA to Nigeria quarantined and tested.

Continue reading
Image

Where Is Our President? — Fani-Kayode Asked As Buhari Spoke On “COVIKK ONE NINE PHIRUS

President Muhammadu Buhari

Femi Fani-Kayode has taken on president Mohammadu Buhari following a viral video of COVID-19 address on Sunday.

Though, majority of Nigerians displayed worry over Buhari’s silence over the ravaging Coronavirus pandemic, including Nigeria Lawmakers, urged he update on the efforts in place so far to put to an end to virus.

On Sunday, the media aides released a video containing message by the president addressed Nigerians on the need to take precautions while the government do the needful.

Chief Kayode in his reaction shared on his official Facebook page showed dissatisfaction on the president’s video message.

He said Nigerians were expecting president Buhari to touch on the Coronavirus and give reasons everyone should not nurse fears rather he spoke on different topic referred to as “COVIK ONE NINE PHIRUS “.

He argued why the president could not know the name of a virus facing every continent, blamed his media handlers.

His post reads: