Image

Miyetti Allah Admits, Clarifies N100bn Demand From Buhari’s Government |RN

Fulani Herdsmen: Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore

Tobi Aworinde, Abuja

The National Secretary, Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, Mr Saleh Alhassan, has said his group indeed demanded from the Federal Government the payment of N100bn to herders but for the construction of ranches and not for amnesty as reported on social media.

Alhassan made the clarification in an interview with The PUNCH on Thursday.

He claimed former President Goodluck Jonathan promised to give them the money and that was what informed their decision to support his re-election in 2015.

The Miyetti Allah chief, however, said that after Jonathan left, the initiative was suspended, hence the decision of the group to present the matter to the President Muhammadu Buhari government.

Asked why N100bn should be paid to violent herders to stop kidnappings, Alhassan said, “That is a mischievous statement. Do they pay money like that? Have they ever paid any money like that? That N100bn has been on the table for mini-ranches since 2014 when (former) President Goodluck Jonathan was trying to address the lingering crisis between farmers and herders.

“So, part of that money was, I think, used by state governors under the committee chaired by the then Governor of Benue State, Gabriel Suswam. But I don’t think the bulk of the money has reached the pastoralists, the herders.

“As part of that policy, they (the Federal Government) are trying to see how they can now assist livestock producers to address farmers/herders conflicts via a policy.”

He added, “So, people now saying they have given Miyetti Allah N100bn to stop kidnappings are just being mischievous because from what we have observed, there are certain people that are twisting narratives.”

Alhassan lamented that some Nigerians didn’t want any kind of support to come from the government for livestock development.

“If we are going to have ranches, definitely, some support would come from government,” he said.

 The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, and some government officials had come under fire last week for allegedly promising to pay Miyetti Allah N100bn as amnesty to curb the rise in banditry, kidnapping and killings.

 However, both the police and the Presidency denied ever discussing money with herdsmen.

Alhassan said there was nothing wrong if Buhari honoured a promise made by Jonathan to the farmers.

“If today, the Buhari government sees policy that was there since 2014 and wants to see how it can be implemented by supporting cattle breeders, not just Fulani but anybody that is breeding livestock, to access facility like the Anchor Borrowers you have with the Central Bank of Nigeria, I don’t think it’s something that calls for propaganda.” (Punch)

Subscribe to The Republican News. Advertise with us. Call us for press release, enquiries. Email: RepublicanNewsNetwork1@gmail.com, phone: +32497220468 +2348189650279, +32466100102.

https://facebook.com/TheRepublicanNews. https://twitter.com/RNNetwork1, https://instagram.com/therepublicannews1

Advertisements
Image

Fresh Attack: Suspected Bandits Kill 29 In Kwari, Zamfara |The Republican News

Olaseni Durojaiye

 

The police in Zamfara State disclosed yesterday, that 29 people were killed by suspected armed bandits in Shinkafi Local Government Area of the state.

According to the police spokesperson, Muhammad Shehu, the victims, in a convoy of vehicles conveying traders from Shinkafi market on their way back to Kwari village in Shinkafi Local Government Area on February 28, were ambushed by the armed bandits.

“On 28 February, 2019 at about 23.45hrs, a divisional police officer (DPO) in charge of Shinkafi received a distress call that on the same date that vehicles conveying traders from Shinkafi to Kwari village were ambushed by suspected armed bandits while coming back from Shinkafi Market.

“The police quickly responded by leading a joint team of PMF/CTU and military to the scene of the incident with a view to ascertaining the authenticity of the report and take action that will restore normalcy in the area and its environs and further arrest the perpetrators of the dastardly act.”

He stated further that, on getting to the scene, 13 corpses were found, while 16 other corpses, mostly members of civilian JTF were later discovered littered as the surrounding bush was combed by the joint security operatives.
He however assured normalcy had been restored in the area, following an improved deployment of Joint police and military personnel to the area, to complement the existing security emplacement.

“The state Commissioner of Police, Celestine Okoye, while condoling the government and people of the state over the unfortunate incident assures all residents of the state that, the police will continue to collaborate and partner with other security agencies and all relevant stakeholder to ensure security, safety and peace of Zamfara State at all times.
“Members of the public are enjoined to continue to support the security agencies in their efforts to rid the state of criminal elements,” Shehu said.    (ThisDay)

 

Subscribe to The Republican News. Advertise with us. call us for press release, enquiries.

Phone: +234-8189650279, +32-497220468, +32-466100102

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Gunmen Kill 7 Policemen In Abuja |The Republican News

Nigeria-Police

File Photo: Nigeria Pl

Molly Kilete, Abuja

Seven policemen on security patrol duty have been reported killed in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The policemen, comprising four personnel of the police Mobile Force and three conventional policemen also had their weapons carted away by the armed men.

The incident happened, on Monday night, at Galadimawa, a satellite town in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The Daily Sun gathered that the policemen who were on a stop and search duty in the area were attacked by the gunmen said to be over 20 in number and opened fire on the policemen killing seven of them on the spot.

Traders, passerby, motorists who were around the spot when the incident happened, reportedly took to their heels as they scampered for safety.

Police sources, who do not want to be named, told Daily Sun that the news about the death of the policemen got to the FCT Police Command late Monday night, which immediately dispatched a rescue team to the area.

He, however, said that “Sadly when our men got there they found the bodies of the seven policemen on the ground.

“The gunmen after killing them also made away with their weapons”. The source said.

Daily Sun gathered that the police had commenced a manhunt to get the gunmen who are believed to have come in from outside the FCT to carry out the dastard act.

The bodies of the deceased policemen were said to have been deposited at one of the hospital mortuaries in Abuja, while the police authorities were making efforts to reach their families to break the sad news.

When contacted, Police Public Relations Officer, Anjuguri Manzah, did not pick his call.

He also did not respond to a text message sent to his mobile telephone at the time of filing this report.  (The Sun)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

 

Continue reading

Image

Air Force Begins Bombardment Of Zamfara Bandits |The Republican News

Nigerian-Air-Force1

 

The Nigerian Air Force commenced aerial bombardments on Monday, in a joint military offensive to end the banditry in Zamfara communities.

The Commander of the 207 Quick Response Group of the Air Force, Group Capt. Caleb Olayera, disclosed this while speaking with newsmen in Gusau.

He spoke after taking delivery of two aeroplanes deployed for the operation.

Olayera described the operation as part of a joint military operation involving the Air Force, Army, Police and civil defence to flush out the bandits.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Zamfara in Nigeria’s northwest has seen intense banditry in recent times that has left hundreds dead and displaced thousands in various communities.

The Federal Government has since been battling the jihadist Boko Haram group in Nigeria’s northeast in a low-intensity war that has claimed thousands of lives and displaced millions since 2009.

Olayera said that two helipads had already been constructed by the Air Force for the Zamfara security operation.

“We told you that the helipads will be used as the base for our fighter jets to neutralise any group of criminals and their hideouts.

He assured that peace would soon return to troubled communities in Zamfara with the commencement of the military operation.

The governor of Zamfara State, Abdulaziz Yari, in an apparent frustration over the banditry in the state, recently renounced his position as chief security officer of the state.

He cited his inability to take charge of security agencies in the state to end the banditry.

(NAN)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Buhari Blaming Gaddafi For Herdsmen Killings An Embarrassment To Nigeria – Fayose

ayo-fayose
Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayodele Fayose has said that President Muhammadu Buhari was becoming an embarrassment to Nigerians, urging his handlers to desist from allowing him to speak extempore.
Governor Fayose, who was reacting to the President’s claim that former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, should be blamed for the ongoing herdsmen killings across the North Central of Nigeria, said; “It is embarrassingly shameful that the President has taken his blame game to the international level by blaming the dead for his cluelessness.”
According to a statement issued on Thursday, by his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, the governor said it was becoming obvious that “Very soon, President Buhari will blame those who elected him for his failure.”
While meeting with the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby in London Wednesday, President Buhari had said that the arms Gaddafi, who was killed seven years ago provided to his supporters had filtered into Nigeria where they are now being used to fuel killings across the north-central.
Governor Fayose, who described the President’s statement as embarrassing, asked how many Libyans were killed by herdsmen in the last three years.
“Nigerians are accusing President Buhari and his government of complicity in the herdsmen killings and all that the President could do in response is to blame Gaddafi, who became history seven years ago? This is no doubt another international embarrassment from a President who knows nothing other than to blame people for his own failure.
“Methinks those handling the President should see to it that he is prevented from speaking outside Nigeria without a prepared speech.
“The other time, he went to Germany to embarrass Nigeria by referring to the chancellor of Germany, Angela Merkel, as ‘President Michelle of West Germany.”
Governor Fayose said President Buhari should rather face the reality of his government’s failure to secure the lives and properties of Nigerians as well as its seeming culpability in the herdsmen killings instead of going to foreign lands to advertise his cluelessness by blaming the dead.     (The Marble)

Continue reading

Image

Another Mass Burial By Benue Gov’t For Fulani Herdsmen Attack Victims |RN

Mass-burial-in-Benue-attacks

File photo: Mass burial of victims of Fulani herdsmen attacks in Benue

Benue State Governor Samuel Ortom has issued a directive for necessary arrangements to be made for another mass burial to hold next week Friday, March 16th. The mass burial is for victims of a fresh herdsmen/farmers clash in Omusu village in Okpokwu Local Government Area of the state which has left 24 people dead.

14 of the victims were women, two children while the search for more bodies has continued.

During his visit to the community yesterday, Governor Ortom appealed to the community not to embark on any reprisal attacks. Security agents have since been mobilised to forestall further attacks while the governor also called on the State Emergency Management Agency to immediately provide relief materials to persons displaced in the attack.

He reiterated his call for the arrest of the leadership of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore whom he alleged were sponsoring the suspected herdsmen militia.

The governor also visited Saint Mary’s Hospital Okpoga, where the injured persons were treated and proceeded to the General Hospital in the town where remains of the dead victims were deposited.

Recall that on January 11th, a mass burial for 76 victims of the January 1st massacre in the state was held. The 76 deceased victims were killed during an attack by some herdsmen on Jany 1st and 6th.  (Nigerian Hive)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Fulani Herdsmen Killed 20, Injured 23 In Adamawa |The Republican News

Fulani-Herdsmen3

 

Billy Graham Abel, Yola

At least 20 people were feared dead and 23 others injured following an attack yesterday by suspected herdsmen in some villages in Demsa Local Government Area of Adamawa State. The assailants were reported to have stormed the communities on four Hilux vans and scores of motorcycles.

Local sources said no fewer than seven villages have been razed and 3,000 residents of the communities displaced as the violent attacks continued.

Daily Sun gathered that houses and properties worth millions of naira were set ablaze by the assailants. The cause of the attack has remained unclear even as community members decried the failure of government and security operatives to forestall the attacks.

Attempts to get the state police public relations officer, CP Othman Abubakar, to comment on the incident proved abortive.

However, Hon. Omayan Tambaya Dilli, a native of the area, confirmed the attack to Daily Sun. According to him, the attack took place between 7am and 8am yesterday, and it lasted till about 11am, without military intervention.

Dilli said: “We received letters and phone calls from the suspected assailants two weeks before the attack and we reported same to the police division here in Gwamba. So, we were surprised that they came, attacked us for hours and left before the military came briefly and left.

“Towards the end of January, the same community was attacked by herdsmen and one person was killed. Three days later, the herdsmen returned and now they are back again. We are at the mercy of the assailants.”   (The Sun)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading