• President wife’s brother loses Adamawa gov ticket
Olalekan Adetayo, Kamarudeen Ogundele, Peter Dada and Hindi Livinus
Wife of the President, Mrs Aisha Buhari, on Sunday, faulted the manner in which some of the primaries of the ruling All Progressives Congress were conducted.
She particularly took a swipe at the party’s National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole, who she accused of allowing impunity under his watch.
Mrs Buhari made her position known in a series of tweets she posted on her verified Twitter handle, @aishambuhari, on Sunday.
She regretted that Oshiomhole, despite his activism background, could allow such a conduct under his leadership.
She said the conduct negated the principle of change that the APC stood for.
The President’s wife, whose brother contested the governorship primary in Adamawa State and lost to the incumbent, however, did not mention the specific cases she was referring to.
She, however, called on Nigerians to rise against impunity and for voters to demand from aspirants to be committed to the provision of basic amenities.
Mrs Buhari said, “It is disheartening to note that some aspirants used their hard-earned money to purchase nomination forms, got screened, cleared and campaigned vigorously yet found their names omitted on election day. These forms were bought at exorbitant prices.
“Many others contested and yet had their result delayed, fully knowing that automatic tickets had been given to other people.
“The All Progressives Congress, being a party whose cardinal principle is change and headed by a comrade/ activist whose main concern is for the common man, yet, such impunity could take place under his watch.
“It is important for the populace to rise against impunity and for voters to demand from aspirants to be committed to the provision of basic amenities such as potable water, basic health care (Primary Health Care centres)
“Given this development, one will not hesitate than dissociate from such unfairness, be neutral and speak for the voiceless.
“Education within conducive and appropriate learning environments. Let us vote wisely! Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”
When contacted, the acting National Publicity Secretary of the APC, Yekini Nabena, said he had not seen Aisha’s tweets and as such could not respond.
He said, “I have not seen it (tweets). I cannot react to something I have not seen.”
Though a screen grab of the tweet was sent to him, a response was still being awaited from him as of 5: 53 pm when this report was filed.
Governor Bundow of Adamawa State emerged the winner of the disputed governorship primary in the state.
Bindow polled 193,656 votes in the direct primary to defeat Mahmood Halilu, Aisha Buhari’s younger brother and Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, a former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, who polled 15,498 and 7,705 votes respectively.
The results, declared by the chairman of the 25-member electoral panel, Jibrin Ahmed, came amidst controversy, following calls for the cancellation of the primary by Ribadu and Mahmood earlier on.
Both Ribadu and Mahmood, who stated their rejection of the outcome of the primary election, attributed their decision to the irregularities which they said marred the exercise.
Mahmood, who addressed journalists on Saturday, dismissed the primary as a charade, saying “even if I am declared the winner, my conscience will not allow me to accept it.”
He stated, “It is surprising that the guidelines were flouted with impunity to the extent that an electoral officer, Mr Peter Nwadozie, who supervised the exercise in the Mubi North Local Government Area, announced the result of the election and declared one of the aspirants as the winner in camera.
“Even before the commencement of the exercise and arrival of materials, government officials were on social media posting outcome of the election that did not take place.
“I will not accept this result, even if it favours me because the whole process has been compromised.”
Primary: Ekiti senatorial aspirant demands cancellation
In Ekiti State, an APC senatorial aspirant for Ekiti North Senatorial District, Chief Kayode Otitoju, demanded cancellation of the results, if he would not be declared the winner.
Otitoju, who alleged that the primary was fraught with fraud and irregularities, urged the National Working Committee of the party to consider his demand in the interest of the party to avoid a legal action.
A former member of the Senate, Olubunmi Adetumbi, had been returned as the winner in the primary.
Adetumbi was said to have polled 21,763 in the direct primary conducted by the Dr Ibrahim Sule-led APC Senatorial Primary Committee in the state, on Friday.
Registering his protest at the APC Secretariat in Ado Ekiti on Sunday, the former state’s Commissioner for Information claimed that no election was held in the five local governments that constituted the district.
He said, “There are two options left for the party under this circumstance; it is either they order a rerun of the primary by not recognising Senator Adetumbi or declare me the winner on personal recognition.”
We have no candidate yet in Ondo, say aspirants
Some House of Representatives and House of Assembly aspirants on the platform of the APC in Ondo State have called on the national leadership of the party to conduct a fresh primary for Akoko North-East/ Akoko North-West Federal Constituency of the state.
The aspirants, who are 13 in number, condemned the statement credited to the state chairman of the party, Mr Ade Adetimehin, that a peaceful election was held in the federal constituency and the candidate had emerged, last week.
In a statement jointly signed by the aggrieved aspirants on Sunday, they demanded a fresh election for the real candidate of the party to emerge. (Punch)
The Department of State Services (DSS) has reportedly released the Aide De Camp (ADC) to Wife of President Muhammadu Buhari, Aisha.
The First Lady had, last Friday, accused her ADC, Sani Baba-Inna of fraud.
Mrs Buhari said Mr Baba-Inna collected cash gifts totalling N2.5 billion from politicians and businesses over three years but kept it to himself. She asked the police to retrieve the money, and publicly asked persons who may have given money to Mr Baba-Inna to demand same from him.
However, police investigations, according to sources in the police, failed to trace such huge amount to the ADC.
Dissatisfied, Mrs Buhari reportedly asked the DSS to take over the case.
Spokesperson of the service, Peter Afunanya, who confirmed the arrest to PREMIUM TIMES on Tuesday said investigation was in progress.
Mr Baba-Inna’s elder brother, Farouq Baba-Inna, told PREMIUM TIMES Thursday afternoon that he has been released.
“He has just been released and I am on my way to see him,” he said.
A call to Mr Afunanya was not answered and is yet to be returned as at press time. (The Sun)
- says her action based on justice, not confrontation
Olalekan Adetayo, Abuja
The wife of President Muhammadu Buhari, Aisha Buhari, has explained that her 2016 interview which was considered to be critical of her husband’s administration was based on her sense of justice.
She said the interview was not meant to be confrontational or a sign of disrespect.
Mrs Buhari made the clarification in a message she sent to the 2017 Vanguard Awards where she was honoured as Vanguard Personality of the Year 2017.
A copy of the message of the President’s wife who was represented at the event by one of her daughters, Halima, was made available to journalists on Sunday by her spokesman, Suleiman Haruna.
Mrs Buhari said she was brought up to stand by the truth and that was how she has been living her life.
She said Nigerians elected her husband based on the trust and confidence they have in him and she felt the administration must serve Nigeria to the best of its ability.
The President’s wife said, “I wish to thank the management of Vanguard Media Limited for this unexpected award, in recognition of my humanitarian efforts towards improving the health and welfare of Nigerians particularly women, children and less privileged.
“One of the reasons adduced for honouring me was the interview I granted which some people saw as criticism to a government that I am part of.
“I need to state that my position as a result of my sense of justice and not confrontation or disrespect. I was brought up to stand by the truth and this is how I have always been.
“As we are all aware, Nigerians elected this administration based on the trust and confidence they have on my husband; I, therefore, feel that we are here to serve Nigeria to the best of our ability.
“Let me use this opportunity to state that I support my husband in this call to service and will continue to do so.
“On this note, I hereby dedicate this award to the people of Nigeria, especially women. Thank you sincerely for this award.”
Mrs Buhari had in the 2016 interview with BBC warned her husband that she might not back him at the 2019 election unless he shakes up his government.
She has claimed that the President did not know most of the top officials he appointed.
She had said, “The President does not know 45 out of 50, for example, of the people he appointed and I don’t know them either, despite being his wife of 27 years.
“Some people are sitting down in their homes folding their arms only for them to be called to come and head an agency or a ministerial position.”
In the BBC interview, the Mrs Buhari refused to name those who had hijacked the government, saying, “You will know them if you watch television.”
On whether the President was in charge, she said, “That is left for the people to decide.”
Mrs Buhari had also said her husband had not told her whether he would contest the 2019 election as of the time of the interview.
She had said, “He is yet to tell me but I have decided, as his wife, that if things continue like this up to 2019, I will not go out and campaign again and ask any woman to vote like I did before. I will never do it again.” (Punch)
I’m using my personal car, says First Lady
Only security vehicles were deployed –Force Headquarters
Twenty-four hours after he alleged that Inspector General of Police (IGP) Ibrahim Idris, gave two SUVs to First Lady, Aisha Buhari, Senator Isah Hamma Misau, claimed, yesterday, the IGP was behind the leaked documents.
Misau told newsmen his comment on the SUVs stemmed from court documents filed in the charge against him, by the IGP and the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami.
“The said documents, which form part of the proof of evidence to the charge, are correspondence between the IGP and the president, his Chief of Staff, Director, National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies, Aide-de-Camp to the wife of the president, and the Chief Personal Security Officer to the president.”
Misau accused the IGP of blackmailing the president’s wife and other high-ranking personalities by deliberately and unethically exposing their correspondences.
“It was, indeed, a shock to me as I am sure it is to other Nigerians, to see such private and confidential documents, with all the minutes of the president and other top government officials carelessly displayed in the public by the Inspector General of Police in manifest breach of official secrecy. The motive for displaying these documents is no doubt suspicious given that they have little or no bearing on the matter of inappropriate practices within the Police. My submission before the Senate committee was simply to call the attention of members as well as the general public to how the IGP is unethically dropping names through filing of secret documents so as to rope these top ranking innocent personalities into the case.
“The IGP was the one who submitted the official documents mentioning the names of respected personalities, not me. I believe I needed to make this clarification.”
But, the first lady has denied collecting any vehicle from the IGP. She denied the vehicle gifts at 11.00am, yesterday, via her twitter account, @aishambuhari, where she wrote: ‘’I am using my personal car.”
Thereafter, in a statement by her Director of Information, Suleiman Haruna, the first lady insisted the vehicles she is still using “belongs to the family and were the ones used during the campaign for 2015 elections, including the one for her entourage.”
Misau had alleged during his appearance before the Senate Ad Hoc committee probing bribery allegations against the IGP, that he had “some contract papers that the IGP himself submitted to the court, where the first lady, through her Aide-de-Camp requested a Toyota Hiace and a Sienna jeep.
‘’The same day that the ADC wrote, the IG minuted that she should be given two jeeps. And, it is not part of the appropriation. If you look at the appropriation, there is nowhere they said the first lady should be given two jeeps’’ he declared.
Regardless, the Nigeria Police Force has denied Misau’s allegations.
In a statement, yesterday, the police said Misau’s allegations were baseless and absolutely untrue and outright falsehood.
“The Nigeria Police Force categorically wishes to state that all the allegations made by Misau against the Inspector General of Police and the wife of the president, of buying two jeeps for the president’s wife as reported in some media are baseless, untrue and done in bad faith to misinform and mislead the public.
‘’It is pertinent to state that at no time did the wife of the President, Mrs Aishat Buhari requested directly or indirectly for vehicles for her use from the IGP and no vehicle, whether Jeep or SUV, has ever been given for her personal use.
“To set the record straight and disabuse the minds of the public most especially those who must have read the story, that the IGP is empowered by the 1999 Constitution, as amended, and the Police Act and Regulations, precisely Section 215 (1)(a&b) and (2) ‘The Nigeria Police Force shall be under the command of the Inspector General Police“ and the deployment and control of the entire operations of the Force, including allocation of police vehicles for operational use throughout the country shall be under the purview of the IGP…”
The Police insisted “the IGP acted within his power when, on January 17, he approved two police vehicles; a Toyota Sienna bus, with registration No. NPF NPF 2406D and a Toyota Hiace bus, with reg. No. NPF 3363D to the ADC of wife of the president, SP Sani M Baba-Inna for operational reasons and not to the person of the wife of the president or for her personal use, as alleged by Misau’. All the allegations made by Misau are baseless, untrue and done in bad faith.”
A copy of the document filed in court by the IGP and the AGF, which was sighted, showed that the request for a Sienna vehicle and a Toyota Hiace Bus for the first lady was indeed addressed to Ibrahim Idris and signed by the ADC to the President’s wife, Sani Baba-Inna.
The request which was contained in a letter which was dated January 17, 2017 was officially approved the following day by the IGP in a handwritten minute approving the purchase of two jeeps.
Wife of the President, Mrs. Aisha has also denied the claims of the Bauchi Central Senatorial District lawmaker, Misau that she received two SUV from the IGP. (The Sun)
Fayose urges president to resign
From Juliana Taiwo-Obalonye, Abuja and Olajiire Ishola
Wife of President Muhammadu Buhari, Aisha, left Nigeria, yesterday, for the United Kingdom, 23 days after her husband left for further medical consultations.
In a one paragraph statement, accompanied by photographs of Aisha, arriving Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, her Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Adebisi Olumide-Ajayi, said the First lady is off to spend sometime with her husband.
“Her Excellency will spend some time with her husband, President Muhammadu Buhari, who is presently on medical vacation.
“She expressed her appreciation to the millions of Nigerians who have been praying for his quick recovery and safe return.”
Buhari travelled for further medical consultations on May 7, 2017 while his wife has been busy with her pet project, Future Assured in the North East, with the focus on empowering women, the girl-child education and providing care for internally displaced persons in the North East.
The president left Nigeria on January 19, 2017, on medical vacation to London and returned after 49 days.
On his return, the president disclosed he had never been that sick to the point where he needed blood transfusion. Buhari also said he would go back abroad for further medical treatment, which he did 23 days ago.
This time around, the president said he would not entertain visitors as he recuperates.
Regardless, Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, has urged Buhari to resign if he truly loves the country, as ill-heath is not allowing him to effectively discharge his constitutional duties
Fayose, who addressed newsmen in Lagos, yesterday, said being an avowed corruption fighter, Buhari has a moral burden to save Nigeria from needless stagnation arising from his heath challenges that have impacted negatively on his performance. The governor said fighting corruption is not limited to discovering large sums of money but doing the right thing at the right time and opined that taking a bow when necessary is an indication of being morally upright.
Fayose appraised Buhari’s administration in two years and said the All Progressives Congress-led Federal Government has failed to deliver on its promises.
“So far, the APC-led federal government has been a government of misadventure and Nigerians are worse for it. They say they are fighting corruption but are shielding corrupt elements within their fold.
“Members of the opposition defect to the APC for protection. He can do us the great help by resigning. Not resigning bothers on his integrity. His absence allows others to suppress and oppress others and that means he is allowing others to suppress their fellow human beings. There are many governments in one and they are clueless. We need an active president going by our numerous challenges. How long will Nigerians wait for an incapacitated president?
“We cannot wait again for somebody to hold us to ransom. I don’t have any bad blood against Buhari. Osinbajo has no powers without the president. He owes us the duty to tell us the state of his health,” the governor said.
On the performance of the economy, Fayose said it had gone from bad to worse and noted that the middle class has been wiped off.
“There is no middle class any more. Economic indicators are not cheery. They borrow money on daily basis and commit funds that ought to accrue to all tiers of government to servicing the loans,” he added.
On the much-touted rescue of Chibok girls from Boko Haram, Fayose reiterated that the whole set-up was blackmail against former President Goodluck Jonathan, and added that, one day, the true story will be revealed.
On insecurity, the governor said more people have been killed by insurgents and herdsmen than in any other period in Nigeria’s history of Nigeria.
He wondered why no Fulani herdsmen had been arrested and prosecuted despite their atrocities across the country. (The Sun)