Advertisements
Image

Senator Omo-Agege Arrested For Stealing The Senate Mace |The Republican News

 

Omo-Agege

Senator Ovie Omo-Agege

 

Senator Ovie Omo-Agege has been arrested by the Nigerian police for mace theft.

Mr Omo Agege was picked immediately after plenary by policemen who ushered the Senator into a waiting pickup van.

The lawmaker was suspended by the Senate for 90 days last week.

He, however, attended the plenary today.

The Senate had accused him of leading the armed men who stormed the chamber and snatched the mace while plenary was on.   (New Telegraph)

Details later…

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Advertisements
Image

JUST IN: Herdsmen Killing: Senators Fight Over Buhari’s Supposed Incompetence |RN

Fulani-Herdsmen3

Leke Baiyewu, Abuja

Plenary at the Senate on Thursday became rowdy over the alleged incompetence of President Muhammadu Buhari to address the spate of killings by armed herdsmen.

‎Lawmaker representing Abia South Senatorial District, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, had raised a point of order to make reference to the conflicting reasons given by officials in the Buhari-led administration for the herdsmen/farmers clashes.

Abaribe noted that the latest was from Buhari who said during his current official visit to the United Kingdom ‎that the killer herdsmen were from Libya.

He said the admittance by the President that Nigeria had been invaded by external forces confirmed his previous claims that Buhari ‎was “totally incompetent”.

The Majority Leader, Senator Ahmad Lawan, interrupted Abaribe to raise a point of order, asking the lawmaker to withdraw his derogatory comments on Buhari and apologise for his statements.

The bickering polarised the chamber along political lines.   (Punch)

Details later…

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

BREAKING: Boko Haram: Buhari Approves Release Of $1bn For Security Equipment

Muhammadu-Buhari6
                                  President Muhammadu Buhari

Olalekan Adetayo, Abuja

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the release of $1bn for the procurement of security equipment to fight the insurgency.

The Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, disclosed this to State House correspondents at the end of a meeting Buhari had with security chiefs at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Wednesday.

The President was also said to have asked the security chiefs to intensify efforts aimed at securing the release of Leah Sharibu, the Dapchi schoolgirl still being held by Boko Haram because she allegedly refused to renounce Christianity.   (Punch)

Details later…

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

BREAKING: Court Sets Supreme Court Justice, Ngwuta, Free of Corruption |RN

Justice-Ngwuta

Justice Sylvester Ngwuta

Ade Adesomoju, Abuja
The Federal High Court on Friday dismissed all the 13 counts of money laundering and passport fraud instituted by the Federal Government against a serving Justice of the Supreme Court, Justice Sylvester Ngwuta.
Justice Ngwuta was among the judicial officers whose houses were raided by the operatives of the Department of State Services in October 2016.
He was subsequently charged with various corruption offences by the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation.
Ruling on an application by him on Friday, the trial judge, Justice John Tsoho, dismissed the charges on the grounds.
Justice Tsoho, whose ruling was anchored on an earlier judgment of the Court of Appeal, held that the pre-conditions for instituting charges against a judicial officer were not met before charging Justice Ngwuta.
The judgment of the of the Lagos Division of the Court of Appeal delivered on December 12, 2017, and which Justice Tsoho relied on Friday upon, had dismissed the corruption charges instituted against a serving judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Hyeldzira Nganjiwa.
The appeal court had dismissed the charges instituted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission against the Federal High Court judge on the basis that a serving judge could not be investigated or prosecuted without being first disciplined by the National Judicial Council.
Justice Ngwuta, through his counsel, Chief Kanu Agabi (SAN), had while arguing his client’s motion, submitted  that by virtue of the said Court of Appeal’s judgment in Nganjiwa’s case and the provisions of section 158(1), Paragraph 21(8) of the Third Schedule to the Constitution, the charges instituted against his client were incompetent.
He maintained that going by the judgment of the Court of Appeal, the complaints forming the basis of the charges instituted against him ought to have been referred to the NJC and allowed the NJC to discipline him before instituting the charges.  (Punch)

Continue reading

Image

BREAKING NEWS: ISIS Gunman Who Killed 3 In France Supermarket Terror Attack Shot Dead

Peter Allen
 (Video provided by Fox News)
A gunman claiming allegiance to ISIS who holed himself up inside a French supermarket after killing three people in a terror attack has been shot and killed by police.The attacker told police hostage negotiators he wanted a terrorist involved in the Paris attacks to be released from jail, as officials fear they will find more victims.

a car parked on the side of a building: <p>The incident is being treated as terrorism by French prosecutors</p>                     © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc

The incident is being treated as terrorism by French prosecutors

Police stormed the supermarket in in the town of Trebes at roughly 1.45pm and shot the attacker. A policeman has reportedly suffered a gunshot wound.
The gunman, believed to have been carrying grenades and a handgun, was heard shouting “Allahu Akbar” and “vengeance for Syria” during his rampage in the neighbouring towns of Trebes and Carcassonne.

A shattered car window at the scene in Carcassonne     © Maxppp/PA Images A shattered car window at the scene in Carcassonne

He claimed allegiance to ISIS during the attack, say, prosecutors, with reports saying he was a Moroccan national in his 30s who was flagged as a potential extremist and known to the authorities.

His mother, who lives in Carcassonne, was taken to the supermarket by police in an effort to persuade him to surrender.

France has been on high alert following a string of jihadist attacks        © AFP France has been on high alert following a string of jihadist attacks

The drama unfolded around 11am when a police officer was wounded in a drive-by shooting while he was out for a jog with colleagues in Carcassonne.

A short time later, about 20 hostages were taken at a branch of Super U in Trebes – a 15-minute drive away – where a butcher and a shopper were killed.

The terrorist has reportedly called for the release of Salah Abdeslam© AFP The terrorist has reportedly called for the release of Salah Abdeslam

A third victim was later found dead in a ditch in Carcassonne near the police barracks with a gunshot wound to the head. Another victim was also seriously injured.

At 1.45pm there were reports police had stormed the supermarket and shot the attacker. A source said the gunman’s mother and sister were brought to the scene to try to convince him to surrender.

The gunman was known to the French intelligence service and his name was on an anti-radicalisation list which was created after the Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris in January 2015 to identify and monitor people who may carry out a terror attack.

Negotiators were in contact with the man, who demanded the release of Salah Abdeslam, the only surviving terrorist involved in the November 2015 attacks in Paris that killed 130 people, sources told French media.

Abdeslam, who has refused to answer questions at his trial in Brussels, is a Belgium-born French national of Moroccan descent. He was captured by anti-terror police in Brussels in March 2016.

Police investigate the scene where officers were shot at in Carcassonne© Maxppp/PA Images Police investigate the scene where officers were shot at in Carcassonne

He was charged with participation in terrorist murder and participation in the activities of a terrorist organization and attempted murder over a shootout with police which occurred days earlier as he eluded capture during a raid.

He is currently in solitary confinement in a high-security prison near Paris while awaiting trial. Abdeslam has admitted helping coordinate the 2015 attacks but failed to let off his suicide bomb vest out the Stade de France, France’s national sports stadium, during a football match between France and Germany.

The gunman demanded the release of a man involved in the Paris attacks, it was reported© AFP The gunman demanded the release of a man involved in the Paris attacks, it was reported

A source close to the investigation in Trebes said: “The hostage taker is in touch with police negotiators and has called for the release of Abdeslam.”

Trebes’ mayor, Eric Menassi, has told French media that there are “two victims” -a worker and a customer – inside the supermarket, which has been surrounded by heavily armed police.

There were fears that the death toll would climb© Maxppp/PA Images There were fears that the death toll would climb

Terrified shoppers fled the supermarket as the gunman stormed the building shouting “Allah Akbar” and “You are bombing Syria, you will die”, local media reported.

Around 20 hostages in the supermarket were released shortly after 12.15pm, but a police officer remained inside with the gunman. There were fears the suspect was armed with grenades, a handgun and knives.

About eight people were taken hostage at the supermarket© Reuters About eight people were taken hostage at the supermarket

A source in the town said: “A butcher in the U-Supermarket has been shot dead. The gunman was heard shouting slogans about the war in Syria. He says he is representing Islamic State.”

“Allahu Akbar” and “Vengeance for Syria” were heard by riot police officers who were attacked by the suspect while out jogging in civilian running gear, it was reported.

It was suggested the attacks were in response to a bombing campaign in Syria© AFP It was suggested the attacks were in response to a bombing campaign in Syria

The officers were all members of the CRS 57 (Republic Security Companies) unit, based at Carcassonne. All were off duty when they were attacked, around two miles from the supermarket.

Local media were reporting that the officers were shot at by a gunman in a car and then tried to pursue the attacker, but he drove off.

Police surround the Super U supermarket in Trebes in the south of France© Reuters Police surround the Super U supermarket in Trebes in the south of France

Five shots were fired and one of the officers was hit in the shoulder. He was rushed to the nearest hospital.

After the shooting, the suspect fled to Trebes, where he took hostages in the supermarket and held police at bay for hours.

The attacks are being treated as an act of terrorism         © AFP The attacks are being treated as an act of terrorism

Carcassonne and Trebes, about 85 miles south-west of Montpelier, are in an area hugely popular with British second homeowners, expats, and holidaymakers.

If a link to ISIS is confirmed, Friday morning’s attack would be the first major terror incident on French soil since the election of centrist President Emmanuel Macron in May last year.

a close up of a tree: <p>The incident is happening in Trebes in the south of France</p>                      © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc

The incident is happening in Trebes in the south of France

France has been on high alert following a string of jihadist attacks since 2015. In January of that year, an attack on the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo left 12 people dead.Later in 2015, in November, ISIS terrorists killed 130 people when they attacked multiple locations in Paris, including bars, restaurants, the Bataclan concert venue and the national stadium.

a car parked in a parking lot: <p>The hostages are being held in a Super U supermarket which has been surrounded by police</p>

 

The hostages are being held in a Super U supermarket which has been surrounded by police

In July 2016, in another attack claimed by ISIS, a man drove a truck through revellers celebrating Bastille Day in the southern coastal city of Nice, killing 84 people.
A state of emergency put in place just after the Paris attacks in 2015 was finally lifted in October last year, but soldiers continue to patrol major tourist sites and transport hubs under an anti-terror mission.      (Mirror)

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

Nnamdi Kanu, Wife Allegedly Spotted By Security Agents In Ghana – TheCable Reports

Nnamdi-Kanu-wife1

File photo: Nnamdi Kanu and wife Uchechi

The leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, and his wife, Uchechi, have been spotted by security agents in Ghana, TheCable is reporting.

According to reports, Kanu usually disguises in fez caps and has been seen with his wife on several occasions at bars and salons.

Prominent among the places they visit are Kenzo Bar, IBG Salon and suya spots, all in Accra. It was also gathered that Kanu lives in Arabella Estate in Cantonment area of Accra.

A former Governor of Abia State, Dr Orji Uzor Kalu, had last year said he understood Kanu had fled to the United Kingdom.

Kalu told The PUNCH that he understands Kanu was in London, having gone through Malaysia.

In the interview published on October 1, 2017, Kalu said: “Kanu was not taken away by the military.

“Kanu went to Malaysia from where he travelled to the United Kingdom. Nnamdi Kanu is in London right now as we speak.
“He was not arrested by anybody. He left the country on his own.

“One of his relations has spoken to me and explained everything because I wanted to see him and talk to him wherever he was and see how I could meet some Federal Government officials on his issue. (New Telegraph)

wwww.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

Image

BREAKING: Soldiers, Police Occupy APC Secretariat Ahead Of Party’s NEC Meeting

Truckloads of armed soldiers and policemen have set up security checkpoints at the entrance and exit of Blantyre Street where the APC Secretariat is situated.

This is in preparation for the National Executive Committee meeting of the party.

President Muhammadu Buhari, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and the 24 governors on the APC platform are expected to attend the meeting which is scheduled to begin at 11:00 am.    (New Telegraph)

…Details later.

http://www.twitter.com/RNNetwork1

Continue reading

%d bloggers like this: