The Royal Borough of Greenwich has “barred” Donald Trump after councillors called for his visit to the UK to be abandoned.
Earlier this week, America’s ambassador in London signalled that Mr Trump is due to visit early next year – sparking fresh calls for mass demonstrations against the president.
And at a meeting on Tuesday night, the Labour council added its voice to the protests by calling on the Government to abandon the plans.
Greenwich Council said it adopted a motion calling for a state visit to be abandoned, while also declaring that “should a state visit go ahead, President Trump would not be welcome in the Borough”.
The council expressed “alarm at the decision of President Trump to retweet Islamophobic Propaganda” and “sadness at the President’s bigoted attitude towards women and ethnic minorities”.
It comes after Mr Trump sparked a global backlash last month after retweeting a string of unverified anti-Islamic videos posted by far-right group Britain First’s deputy leader.
He also blasted London Mayor Sadiq Khan’s response to the London Bridge terror attack earlier this year, branding it “pathetic”.
Just hours after the attack, he tweeted: “At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is “no reason to be alarmed!”
Councillor Denise Hyland, leader of the council said: “On a daily basis we work hand in hand with residents from all communities to ensure this borough is a peaceful and welcoming place that celebrates difference and diversity, but in the case of President Trump we are willing to make an exception.
“We are one of 32 London boroughs, all different, all individual but all home to people from across the world.
“This diversity strengthens our borough. It enriches our lives on a daily basis. And it reminds us all that we have so much more in common than divides us.
“As one of the most multi-cultural London boroughs, we are a place that has worked tirelessly to break down barriers. We have no time for people who want to build walls, when we have done so much to break them down.”
Cllr Chris Kirby, who presented the motion said: “President Trump has regularly expressed abhorrent and aggressive views and in doing so has enabled the spread of division and hatred.“
We have worked incredibly hard in this borough to build strong community ties across all faiths and backgrounds – President Trump’s views, attitude and policies are totally incompatible with that work.”
He went on to say that: “As a council we hold responsibility for more than 270,000 residents. We took the view that we could not stand by and watch the level of public debate be poisoned by the rhetoric that the President and others like him have continued to use.
“We have stood up and made our position clear: there is no place for aggressive, bigoted and hateful rhetoric in the Royal Borough of Greenwich.” (Evening Standard)