BIAFRA DAY: BIM/MASSOB Protest Goes Into Its Second Day In Onitsha

Biafra Day: BIM/MASSOB protest continues in Onitsha

The peaceful protest embarked upon on Monday by members of Chief Ralph Uwazuruike-led Biafra In­dependence Movement/ Movement for the Actuali­sation of Sovereign State of Biafra, MASSOB, as part of a seven-day activities for the commemoration of their 17th year anniversary of the re-declaration of Sovereignty State of Biafra, continued unabated yes­terday in the commercial city of Onitsha, Anambra State, the strong base of MASSOB.
The BIM/MASSOB members had on Monday grounded business activi­ties in the commercial city, and continued the protest yesterday along the major streets of Onitsha under the watchful eyes of securi­ty agencies who, however, did not open fire on the protesters as before.
The group, as early as 8 am, converged on Obosi in Idemili North Local Gov­ernment Area from where they matched in a convoy of over one hundred Keke Napep and Buses, bran­dishing the Biafran Flag and fliers along Obosi, Nk­por road through the Lim­ca road to upper Iweka and Bridge Head, chanting and dancing to Biafra songs.
The Divisional police officer (DPO) in charge of Onitsha central police station, SP Ikechukwu Egbochukwu who led the monitoring team, con­firmed the protest match but said the police patrol was on the ground to ensure it was peaceful.
He, however, referred newsmen to the Anambra Police Public Relations Of­ficer ASP Nkiru Nwode for confirmation and brief­ing on any further devel­opment.
When contacted, the PPRO said that Anambra did not witness any MAS­SOB protest since Monday claiming that Anambra was peaceful and calm and therefore no person was arrested except for the gang of kidnappers smashed by the police at Urum in Awka North LGA.
She said the police also rescued the kidnap victim and recovered the gang’s rifles.
Meanwhile, MASSOB/BIM Director of Public­ity, Mazi Chris Mocha said although the celebration was for seven days, they had no activity slated for yesterday but since it was a peaceful exercise there was no cause for alarm.  (Authority)

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: