The vagina, just like other body organs, can atrophy when it’s not being taken care of, or put to proper use for that matter.
In order to make your vagina feel and behave young, here are the seven simple steps to take:
• Stay sexually active: Just as is the case with any body part, the vagina is a “use or lose it” organ. According to an expert in female sexual health and vaginal rejuvenation, Dr. Karen Boyle, as a woman ages, she begins to lose fat in the vagina areas, such that the vagina can start to sag. What to do? Stay sexually active. You need to get stimulation and increased blood flow to that area, otherwise, the tissue and muscle can change, Boyle says. Blood flow through sex and orgasm will help in keeping it lubricated. Plus, if you are not worried about pregnancy, your partner’s semen may have an anti-aging effect because of the hormones, fatty acids, and anti-inflammatory compounds that semen contains.
• Switch sex positions by mounting your man: Sex experts say that when you are always the one under during sex, the way your man pounds at your vagina can cause stretching, because he will the one to control the pace and the intensity of the thrusting, which means he may accidentally push past what’s physically comfortable for you. By contrast, when you’re on top, you’re in control—and “it’s much easier to contract those muscles when you’re on top,” says Boyle.
• Use mild cleansers: Scrubbing the living daylights out of your labia is not only unnecessary, but harsh soaps can leave you dry and irritated down there. The labial tissue is so sensitive, such that a gentle cleansing is all that you need to keep fresh any time.
• Maintain healthy weight: If you are the type that gains and loses weight carelessly, it can make your vulva to flop. According to Boyle, if your weight fluctuates wildly, it may lead to more stretching. And if you’re super skinny as an ageing woman, your private parts can start to look as gaunt as your face, researchers warn.
• Exercise your Kegels muscles: When you exercise the Kegels muscles, it gives you a tighter vagina and, ultimately, better sex. How to do Kegels exercise? Cosmetic gynaecologist, Dr. Marco Pelosi, says, contract your pelvic floor muscle like someone trying to withhold pee, do it for five seconds, relax, and repeat 100 times, three times a day. You can also make Kegels fun by squeezing a few reps in during sex. You can imagine pinching your partner’s penis with those muscles, which helps you target the right spot (and gives your guy an extra, pleasurable sensation).
• Ditch your office chair: For a little extra workout for your vaginal muscles, that is—trade your desk chair for a Swiss ball for 15 minutes a day. This forces the muscles of your pelvic floor to contract, without doing a single squeeze, says Pelosi. “It feels like nothing is happening, but it’s a very efficient way to keep the pelvic floor toned,” he says.
• Long bike rides are not exactly for you: Except you are training for a triathlon, you may not engage in long bike rides. This is because the constant friction of crotch-to-seat contact can pull and stretch your labia, especially if you have naturally pronounced outer lips, says cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Christine Hamori. (Punchng.com)