By Ike A. Offor | Editor
Sources within the presidency have said President Muhammadu Buhari and his cabinet should resign.
“They are being asked to resign over their inability to manage the economy, which now gone into recession” he source said. “If the President would heed to such call is another thing altogether. But if he really loves this country as he claims, the best he should do is to resign his position and dissolve the entire incompetent cabinet of his,” he added.
Following the cash crunch that has gripped the Nigerian economy, sources within presidency are saying the president and his cabinet members, should be forced to resign for their inability to manage the economy that has been allowed to recess.
The decline in the nation’s economy has been attributed to the renewed bombing of pipelines by militants in the Niger Delta region and the 70 per cent decline in oil prices from about S116 per barrel in June 2014 to about $30 per barrel earlier in the year.
Investigations had shown that the initial plan of the government, was to release the sum of N350 billion every quarter, to ensure that there were sufficient funds to keep capital projects running, but this plan has been thwarted, due to dwindling oil revenue and lack of clear-cut economic policies. According to The Republican News, the non-release of funds is having a devastating impact on the Ministries, Department and Agencies, (MDAs), as they are barely able to pay salaries, while every other obligation, particularly execution of capital projects, have
”With the excruciating hardship, and inflation rate hitting 17.5 percent, Buhari should do the needful, by tendering his resignation letter, having failed 180 million Nigerians,” a credible source lamented. Other reliable sources, added that the MDAs are currently frustrated, and are even scared of advertising for jobs, because they know there are no funds to execute them.
“The Ministry of Finance cannot even release quarterly allocation to MDAs as it used to do in the years past, because it is President Muhammadu Buhari who decides what is to be released, to which sector and at what point”, the source added.
The United States of America, had taken a swipe and called for the resignation of President Buhari. US accused the Buhari administration of sheepishly running Nigeria underground. The US former Chairman of House Intelligence Committee, Pete Hoekstra, made this disclosure on behalf of the United States, in an opinion article he wrote on Friday, June 17, published in the Wall Street Journal. Last week, Babachir Lawal, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), said that the federal government would not be able to fully implement the N6.06 trillion 2016 budget, because the revenues of the government had dropped by over 50%, contrary to projections.
Few days back the, USA Congress man, Senator Tino Marino has strongly criticized Buhari’s government in a letter to the United States Foreign Secretary , John Kerry. The letter has very strong wordings with regard to gross human rights violations, extra judicial killings by Nigerian security forces.
The letter very specifically mentioned cases of killings of unarmed IPOB protesters in various occasions. It letter touched on deaths of inmates in detentions under the care of security forces, which are very suspicious indeed.
The letter also touched on lopsided, mostly the oppositions, anti-corruption fight by Buhari’s administration.
As if that was not painful enough for the Buhari-led administration, the United Nations released the next day a very damning report about Nigerian government under Buhari. The UN clearly called out Buhari’s poor governance as the main reason behind the recessed economy under one year of his leadership.
All these pressures are now mounting on President Buhari to resign his position as the president of the country. Though, the government of Buhari and his political party are showing some brave faces, the pressure is beginning to get through to them.