By Okon Bassey
It was a black Friday in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State capital, as seven persons lost their lives in a fire incident said to have been caused by poor storage of fuel.
The inferno, which occurred about 2am at No 33 Ntia street off Ekpri Nsukara within the Uyo metropolis, THISDAY gathered, claimed the lives of a woman and three of her children as well as three grandchildren of the landlady of the compound.
Luck was, however, on the side of the landlady, Madam Monica Effiong, and another occupant of the compound, Emmanuel, who were rescued and taken to the hospital.
An eye witness, Mr Ekemini Obot, who is the grandson to the landlady, Madam Monica Effiong, said his wife noticed the fire in the next compound went going out to urinate and raised alarm which attracted neigbours for resuce.
However, luck was not at the side of the victims in the fire incidence as the fire had consumed them before the needed help could come.
Mr. Obot said his grandmother and another occupant in the compound were rescued and rushed to the University of Uyo Teaching hospital for medical attention. ThisDay